Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: Send an email from BT dynamic IP address

Go to solution

Hopefully the link I posted will help with that, but I can't offer any direct help I'm afraid as it is beyond my expertise.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 18

Go to solution

@duggiebwrote:

Thanks for your reply. However, I don't understand the distinction between "I am sending from my own address" and "using a BT or Gmail SMTP server".  How do I go about doing the latter?

Hi.

Unless you have your own domain (and hence proabably own mail server address) - it's what I do  - then in order to send emails from your connection, you have to use BT's SMTP server. You have to effectively make your pi client have the correct configuration to use the proper servers along with the email address/password. (You can use Gmail stuff, possibly outlook.com and others).

Virtually all of BT's IP ranges will be on most blacklists, so if you don't use a proper mail server - virtually all of your emails will fail to be delivered as the destination will be using blacklists. Your IP address in the email header will show it being used as an SMTP server - and hence delivery will fail (it's a bit more complicated than that, but in simple terms ...)

These blacklists don't typically contain the IP addresses of ISP smarthost servers (e.g. mail.btinternet.com) - hence email can be delivered.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 18

Go to solution

@duggieb  Have a look at this http://unixetc.co.uk/2014/11/04/enable-outgoing-mail-on-raspberry-pi/

Gives instructions for configuring Sendmail on a Pi with BTinternet SMTP server.

0 Ratings
duggieb
Beginner
Message 14 of 18

Go to solution

Thanks for the link which looks interesting. It will take me a couple of days to work through it after which I shall post back.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Go to solution

I might have a go with my Pi if I get a chance.

0 Ratings
duggieb
Beginner
Message 16 of 18

Go to solution

I have now solved my problem using the link above http://unixetc.co.uk/2014/11/04/enable-outgoing-mail-on-raspberry-pi/ Thanks for all help, the whole learning exercise has been very enjoyable.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

Go to solution

Well done, I did have a play but getting an error message when I test sending. It seems to point to Sendmail not reading the authinfo properly but I haven't had chance to investigate fully.

0 Ratings
duggieb
Beginner
Message 18 of 18

Go to solution

It did not work first time for me but then I read the blurb at the top of the submit.mc which led me to run sudo makeconfig after changes to the file. This seemed to work. Again, thanks for your help.

0 Ratings