cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Sending mail in Outlook - occassional failure

Go to solution

I have been using Outlook for email for a number of years. Two weeks ago I changed my ISP to BT. I have not changed my email address(es).

Now I find that some (not all) mail that I send generates an error message. The message is:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    RE: Testing access

Sent: 12/01/2016 11:34

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'NAME OF RECIPIENT' on 12/01/2016 11:34

Server error: '554 5.7.1 [R8] Authentication Failed, must login.'

At a rough guess I would say about 10% of my mail is affected in this way. I do not understand why it is only a problem on these mails and not on all.

In case it helps I am using Windows 10 but upgraded over 2 months ago and had no issues until I switched to BT.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Sending mail in Outlook - occassional failure

Go to solution

If you are still using your old ISP's email address what settings are you using to send and receive the email?

If you are sending on the BT servers you will need to authenticate the emails that you send with your BT email address in the Outlook settings. Make sure the box "my server requires authentication" is ticked and click on the settings tab and instead of "use same as incoming" you need to enter your BT email address and password.

BT email settings

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917/kw/bt%20mail/c/346,6588,6591

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

This didn't really resolve the issue - because I wanted to use Outlook 2010 to manage my mail. Having spoken to IT support now at BT and Tesco (my previous ISP) it seems the issue is with Outlook 2010. I am now attempting to use Outlook.com to manage my mail and will see how it goes.

It is a great shame that BT internet does not have a facility to pull across mail from other providers. I had used Gmail to do this but the interface is truly awful and Tesco webmail is not much better. BT internet mail although in my opinion not as nice looking as Outlook is still reasonable and as I am a BT customer would prefer to manage all my accounts in one place via BT.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

You can use Outlook 2010 to manage your email with BT. Just use an xxx@btinternet.com address to authenticate and send with. I.e split the outgoing and incoming servers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

What exactly did they say the issue was with Outlook 2010. There are many BT broadband users who use Outlook 2010 to retrieve and send their email from different email providers.

If you go into the your BTMail settings and go to Mail > Accounts > Email Account Settings > you can add whatever email account you want so that it is manged through BTMail.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Sending out via BT server has done the trick. Thank you!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Pleased you got it working and thanks for the update.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@Technomage2250 wrote:

Sending out via BT server has done the trick. Thank you!

Glad you have it sorted. Smiley LOL wish I had mentioned that in message 2 Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

0 Ratings