cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrwe
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Sent and Trash empty

I went to check an email I had sent to someone a few weeks ago, and my sent box has completely emptied - I only have sent emails from exactly one week ago. I then checked my trash, and it too only has emails dating from last Thursday. I have no recollection of emptying my sent nor my trash, and my junk and inbox seem to be completely fine. This is obviously really really upsetting as all of my emails are now seemingly lost. I need urgent assistance. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Sent and Trash empty

The trash folder is emptied automatically every 30 days, you can't expect to use the trash folder as a storage folder, if you don't want to permanently delete an email, move it to a pending folder rather than delete it.

The sent folder is different, I have flagged your post to the mods.

0 Ratings
mrwe
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

no i dont use the trash as storage, it's just suspicious as its been emptied up to the exact same day a week ago as the sent folder

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Fair enough, wait for the mods to post on the thread.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 5 of 10

Hi @mrwe,

Thank you for posting. Have you recently set up your email on an IOS device? It might be worthwhile checking the setting to make sure it been set up using IMAP and not POP.

Thanks

Paddy

0 Ratings
mrwe
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Hi, no! No changes that I know of had been made and I have no new devices. The only possible one was an ios update on my phone, but i'm not even sure if it happened as it failed when it first tried. I've had no problems before with the messages coming in on my laptop and phone, and they are still coming in on both devices now! It's just that my complete sent folder from almost 10 years upto last week was wiped on all devices and on the web page.

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 7 of 10

Hi @mrwe,

Thank you for posting back, if you send me your details I'll be able to ask my colleagues in the email team to investigate.

I have sent you a private message with instructions on how to contact the team.  You can access your messages via the envelope icon at the top right of the screen, or click on this link, Private messages

Thanks,

Paddy

0 Ratings
mrwe
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

IF YOU USE AN IPHONE, DO NOT USE BT EMAIL. THEY WILL DELETE YOUR EMAILS AND THEN CLAIM TO BE UNABLE TO RECOVER THEM, NOR WILLING TO FIX THE PROBLEM. SHAME ON THEM. Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 08.39.44.png

 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Can you clarify please.

Where does the quoted text come from, BT or Apple?

Which app does it refer to, the BT Mail app or a different app?

What default settings cause this to happen?

0 Ratings
mrwe
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

The quoted text comes from BT, it refers to the Apple mail app, and they didn't say which settings - i don't think they know, it sounds like BS to me. If this truly was an apple issue, this would be happening to thousands or millions of people around the world. rather than tens of unlucky bt customers. 

0 Ratings