cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tony90125
Message 1 of 8

Server Error while trying to get emails with Thunderbird

I have Mozilla Thunderbird (latest version) running on Windows 7. Occasionally, when I try to download my emails I get an dialog with an error message: -Error Message on Trying to Download Emails 050219.png

This continues to happen for several hours and then suddenly resolves itself. I have not changed any settings.

The response from BT Customer Service is that it is nothing to do with them, despite the message saying "mail.btinternet.com responded: Server error...".

I see from previous posts that this issue, or something like it, has been happening for many years.

Has anyone found out what this problem is and what the solution is?

Many thanks.

T9

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Server Error while trying to get emails with Thunderbird

as you say there are many posts on the subject and has been ongoing for years  there is no fix and solution is just to try again later but don't change password

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tony90125
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the reply but I disagree that there is no solution.

Something is going wrong.  Either Thunderbird is not working correctly or the BT email server is not working correctly. There is a solution, which is for whoever is responsible for the error to fix it.

For Mozilla and BT to simply blame each other is not acceptable. Does anyone know how to interrogate Thunderbird to find the specific error code? Is there a way to test the BT email server to find out exactly what the error is?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

Regular forum posters over the years have tried to get BT to investigate this problem, but they won't 

It has nothing to do with any mail client, though some seem to have more issues than others, though that could be down to the people reporting it.

We have asked time after time for a resolution to this ongoing problem, but they stick their heads into the sand.

Get a gmail address and move away from BTinternet email altogether.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

It is most likely a BT server error. It affects all email clients, not just T'bird and as has already been pointed out it has being going on for years. There is a fix in as much as the when the server error happens BT or as I suspect you are on the Yahoo system, Yahoo fix/restart/or whatever they do and it all starts to work again. This usually happens within a day or two.

The only thing you can do is use webmail until it is resolved. 

You can contact BT but you will get the reply that if your webmail is working then your email is working, which it is, so they will not do anything else.

0 Ratings
tony90125
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for the reply.

It is extremely frustrating that this has been a known issue for years but nothing is done about it. Is there a regulatory authority that I can approach - a kind of 'Internet Ombudsman'?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

@tony90125 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

It is extremely frustrating that this has been a known issue for years but nothing is done about it. Is there a regulatory authority that I can approach - a kind of 'Internet Ombudsman'?

No, they would not be interested. See this post.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/BTYahooMail/m-p/1920106#M67174

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@tony90125 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Email is not regulated by the Ombudsman.

Playing Devils Advocate:-

Even if it was what would your complaint consist of.  You can not say your email is not working because it is if you can access it via webmail there fore BT are fulfilling their obligation to you if you have decided to use a BT email address.

BT do not support email clients, in as much as they can not assist you if you can not get your email when you are using one even although they do supply servers and settings should you choose to use one. They do fix the servers, hence the outage only lasts a day or two and this is covered in their T & Cs.

In BT's Terms and Conditions Sections 12 (b)(c) state

1. We aim to provide a continuous, high-quality service using reasonable care and skill. However, due to the nature of the service and the equipment we use to provide it, we can't guarantee that it'll be available all the time.
  2. Sometimes there are faults in our network and this affects the service. We'll fix any faults as soon as we can. If there is a fault, clause 18 explains what you can do.

https://www.bt.com/products/static/terms/feb2017btmail.html

If you do decide to pursue it with the Ombudsman or a complaint to BT please keep this thread updated with how you get on. I am sure others will be interested.

0 Ratings