cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Server dilemma

. I am having trouble with the server information on my accounts. I have had two sessions with BT chat line and out of this I only got one piece of information that was useful.

I use Outlook and for my primary email address (**Edited**@btinternet.com) they told me the cache was full. When I deleted the cache using information from google the primary email initially worked well. I need to find out the incoming and outgoing servers because they are different on outlook and iPhone.

I may have a virus on my Outlook. I have captured the messages which  could be shown on an  attachment.

Are you able to help please?

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Server dilemma

Please delete your email address, this is a public forum viewable worldwide.

The BT mail server is mail.btinternet.com for both incoming and outgoing. Port 993 with SSL for IMAP incoming and port 465 with SSL for outgoing.

As detailed here 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for info.
Your suggestios work on my iPhone which I am using to reply noy.
When I go to Outlook it holds:

Incoming imap.mail.yahoo.com (port 993)
Outgoiing smtp.mail.yahoo.com (port 465)

Any attempt to replace these settings are aborted and replaced by the ones above.

I have tried deleting outlook cache but it makes no difference.

My Avast program says there is no virus and I have reinstalled Office several times. Bt chat line says it is an Outlook problem. I have a transcript of two hours of chat .

Any ideas please?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

You need to delete the account completely from Outlook and set up the account again manually using the settings posted in message 2. The Yahoo settings will no longer work as you will have been migrated to the BTMail system rather than the old BTYahoo mail.

Which version of Outlook are you using?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

I deleted all the emails in Outlook and tried the settings you suggested and got the message (again)
Something went wrong
We couldn’t find the incoming (IMAP) server. Please check the incoming server in account settings and try again.

This is imap.mail.btinternet.com  with Port 993

Tonio

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

The server is mail.btinternet.com as previously stated. Not imap.mail.btinternet.com.

You need to delete the account, not the emails.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

Sorry I meant email accounss. The emails are still there 
By the way I have captured a couple of images of error reports. Is there a way of sending them to you?

Tonio

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

I qill try again with mail.btinternet.com

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

I went through the set up routine with an.osler and it inially worked and some emails were received. I then went on to the next enail address and it wouldn’t accept the settings.

Then I went back to an.osler and found that the settings had changed automatically back to the yahoo ones. Do I have a virus?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

I very much doubt the problem is a virus.

What version of Outlook are you using, is it Outlook 365 or a version downloaded to your machine.

0 Ratings