cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Setting up BT Email on Outlook 365 - big FAIL

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm setting up a newly reformatted laptop and have installed Microsoft Office 365.  I am a long time user of Outlook and have never had problems before in setting up my bt email account.  This time though, I have tried a number of times and despite my email address and password being correct, I get a pop up saying  'Something went wrong.  WE cannot sign in to the incoming IMAP Server..... etc etc etc.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a simple fix?  I did try going in to the manual set up but that didn't work either.

Thanks in advance.

Carol

PS:      Outlook is searching for a yahoo profile.  Make sure your server is pointed towards btinternet.com!!

Phew.  Now onto next setting up problem!

On searching around I found this post from 2020 which is the solution for anyone who has the same problem.....

"Microsoft have been looking to resolve this, but so far no success. Any help would be appreciated

Incoming Mail

• Server: mail.btinternet.com
  • Port: 993
  • Encrypton: SSL/TLS
  • Require logon using SPA - Not ticked

Outgoing Mail

• Server: mail.btinternet.com
  • Port: 465
  • Encrypton: SSL/TLS
  • Require logon using SPA - Not ticked
  • My outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication - ticked
  • Use same settings as my incoming mail server - ticked."

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Setting up BT Email on Outlook 365 - big FAIL

Go to solution

The correct BTMail settings are as per the BT help page.

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Yep, if all else fails, read the instructions! 😄

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@c_s_k22wrote:

Hi,

I'm setting up a newly reformatted laptop and have installed Microsoft Office 365. 

Is this a known issue?  Is there a simple fix?  I did try going in to the manual set up but that didn't work either.

Thanks in advance.

Carol

PS:      Outlook is searching for a yahoo profile.  Make sure your server is pointed towards btinternet.com!!

The yahoo bit looks like the issue here. Make sure you use Manual from the start. Don't try to amend the failed account (if it is stored), delete it and try again.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi Carole,

Wondering did you ever get this resolved?

I am having exactly the same problems with a new laptop. Makes me want to return it 🥲. 

Thank you. 

0 Ratings