cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Margaretx9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Setting up BT Premium mail when leaving BT Broadband - why is it so difficult?

Go to solution

I recently left BT Broadband but wish to set up BT premium mail so I can keep my email address (and those of family members) for a while.

You are supposed to be able to do this on line through your BT ID according to the instructions at the link below - I still have my mobile with them - but when you go to the BT email and manage email link you cannot do this as there is a big red line across the top of the page.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44885/~/what-is-bt-premium-mail-and-how-do-i-get-it%3...

I am partially deaf so I arranged for my son to call the  0808 100 6778 telephone number quoted and he was advised it wasn't a simple case of my - and those emails - attached to my old account being kept and I simply pay £5 (rising to £7.50 a month) with this being done automatically.

He was then advised that I would need to go to a specified page bt.com/keepmyemail where you can order premium mail but it tells you you cannot do this online as you have left BT broadband. But you wouldn't need premium mail if you had BT broadband as you get it free anyway!

He was then advised you could not set up bt premium mail using this weblink on an ipad/android or iphone - only via a desktop or laptop. And when it failed with the same message the BT call centre would somehow access your computer so you could set the premium mail account up – he still has see if that works as when we rang he didn’t have a laptop to hand!

Why on earth is this so difficult - I had these email accounts free when I was with BT broadband and now surely nothing else needs to happen except BT charge me £5 rising to £7.50 each month for them by direct debit as long as I wish along with my mobile charges with nothing else changing on my account?

I still have another 30 days to sort this out before the email accounts are deleted. Surely there must be a better way BT – as its not as if you provide BT premium mail for free. I feel sorry for the poor BT customer services staff having to explain the crazy process!

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Setting up BT Premium mail when leaving BT Broadband - why is it so difficult?

Go to solution

Is your son by any chance a BT Broadband customer? If he is you could have your email account linked to his BT Broadband account and this would allow you to keep your email address for free.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Margaretx9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Re: Setting up BT Premium mail when leaving BT Broadband - why is it so difficult?

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion.

No he used to be - he moved his account to ours when he left BT and that took a posting on here and 3 phone calls to/from BT to sort out at the time as he had a BT yahoo email.

Nothing needs to change - except BT need to charge me the cost of BT premium mail for the accounts I have on my BT ID.

I just dont understand why they simply cant leave things as they are (all the emails are linked to my account) and collect an extra £5 (soon £7.50) from me as I remain a BT mobile customer with a monthly bill anyway on the same ID so haven't left them entirely! It really shouldnt be so difficult.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

It should be easy and there is absolutely no need for BT to access your computer or any other device to set it up so if they contact you wanting access do not let them do that.

As you have tried via the methods that BT have advised and got no useful help from Customer Services I have notified the moderators of the forum about your problem.

Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. They are very busy at present so once you have replied to them by the link, it can take 48 hours for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Margaretx9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution

Thank you - I would be grateful for their assistance to resolve this.

I am happy to reply by email/electronically but if it requires a phone call I would prefer my son handles that.

You mention a link to refer this - but I cannot see one?

0 Ratings
Community Manager - Retired
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

@Margaretx9 sorry for the problems you've had in getting this email query sorted. Please send in your details (including the email addresses in question) via our webform.

You'll find it by clicking on my username and going to "Click here to contact the mods".

Thanks

0 Ratings
Margaretx9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Stephanie

I have tried clicking on your username (as instructed) in order to contact the moderators via the online form but I can't see any link that allows me to do this.

Can you confirm how I do this.

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

The links should look like this

Mod.jpg

0 Ratings
Margaretx9
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks - I have clicked on Stephanie's username in her message and see no such link?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

Ok I'll ask a moderator to post it again.