Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
HolmPC
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Setting up SMTP relay for my own domain

I am helping a friend who has just had BT Infinity installed. They have their own domain and mail to this domain is forwarded to their btinternet address.

They wish to be able to reply to this mail (and send new mail) through their BT account and have that mail appear to be from their domain email address. How can I set up SMTP relay for them so that they can do this? What information do is needed from them and who do I send it to?

I've tried talking to BT phone support and online chat support, but I couldn't even get them to understand what I was asking for...

Thanks.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 3

Re: Setting up SMTP relay for my own domain

@HolmPC wrote:

I am helping a friend who has just had BT Infinity installed. They have their own domain and mail to this domain is forwarded to their btinternet address.

They wish to be able to reply to this mail (and send new mail) through their BT account and have that mail appear to be from their domain email address. How can I set up SMTP relay for them so that they can do this? What information do is needed from them and who do I send it to?

I've tried talking to BT phone support and online chat support, but I couldn't even get them to understand what I was asking for...

Thanks.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

They don't need to set up any relay, and if they tried to via their own machine, you may well see a lot of blocked messages.

If their own domain supplier doesn't have an smtp facility (or it might for extra cost), then they can simply try to use the btinternet servers. I don't know about the issue if the user's account has been transferred to the new BTMail, but if not - just simply put the "From" email address as their domain email address in the account settings in their mail client.

What mail client are they using (e.g. Outlook, Thunderbird etc) ?

If it's webmail, then they will need to go through address verification - which might also be needed with the new BTMail - even if using a mail client program.

0 Ratings
HolmPC
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Setting up SMTP relay for my own domain

How do they go through address verification? This would be the best way of doing it, I've got this far already and it works well, except for some recipients seeing a warning that the mail may not be from who it claims to be. Would this be solved by verifying the address?

They are using Windows live mail and ipad mail as clients rather than using webmaster. They have just joined BT so are on the new BT mail system. Thanks for the help.
0 Ratings