cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 17

Re: Setting up a mail client and the outgoing SMTP settings for BT email servers

Why do you need to change SMTP server at all, why not just continue using the one you used previously?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Oliver341
Expert
Message 12 of 17

Re: Setting up a mail client and the outgoing SMTP settings for BT email servers

@licquorice wrote:

Why do you need to change SMTP server at all, why not just continue using the one you used previously?

000webhost is a free provider and they don't provide an SMTP server.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

Ah.  Seems a lot of faffing around having to change SMTP server to the new ISP one every time you change ISP for the sake of a few quid a year for a proper third party mail service that you can just use with any ISP.

0 Ratings
Melski
Message 14 of 17

No. The BT client will not handle SSL on any of the 3rd party providers that I tried. 000webhost was just an example. If I selected 'use SSL' on the BT client, it will not access that account. When you try to load the email account, POP or IMAP,  it will fail and give 'Account not available' message.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 15 of 17

@Melski wrote:

No. The BT client will not handle SSL on any of the 3rd party providers that I tried. 000webhost was just an example. If I selected 'use SSL' on the BT client, it will not access that account. When you try to load the email account, POP or IMAP,  it will fail and give 'Account not available' message.

Odd. Windows Live Mail, for instance, has no issues mixing SSL for SMTP with non-SSL for POP3. Perhaps it's a bug with your Apple client.

Oliver.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 17

BT DOES support SSL for incoming and outgoing mail. I and many others use it. You can't use the BT servers for incoming mail from a third party you can only use it for outgoing. You have to set up a BT mail account on your device as per the link I posted earlier. Set the account up manually rather than letting any wizard configure the account. This will allow mail to be sent and received on the xxx@btinternet.com mail address. You can now modify your third party account to use BT's SMTP server by changing only the outgoing portion of your third party account to the BT details. I.e outgoing port 465 and SSL selected, username and password as the BT account.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 17 of 17

@Melski wrote:

BT client

Also I don't know what you mean by "BT Client". BT provide mail servers (e.g. mail.btinternet.com), but not mail clients (e.g. Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird).

Oliver.
0 Ratings