cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Durgemeister
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Setting up email-clients with BT Mail

I have had the same main email address for about 10 years, with a previous ISP - now that have decided to start charging £5 a month, I have finally decided to use my BT address... 

... please tell me there is SOME way to get PC & Android clients to work with it ? I have never been a fan of Webmail, and prefer the idea of using POP3 (i.e. having them stored locally) but would make do with IMAP. However,  I have tried all possible combinations of the recommended/default setting with the mail.btinternet.com server, and just nothing works. 

To clarify, I am using Thunderbird on the PC, and Gmail on Android. 

TIA

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Setting up email-clients with BT Mail

The correct settings are here set the account up manually rather than letting the device automatically detect the settings.

However, I would strongly recommend using a Gmail address rather than an ISP address, that way you won't have to keep changing if you change ISP.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

These pages have a guide which should help with IMAP

Using the Thunderbird e-mail client - IMAP connection - allows folder synchronization between devices

Or if you prefer to use POP3

Using the Thunderbird e-mail client - POP3 connection - just downloads the inbox

Durgemeister
Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Thanks for the replies, but I have tried all these already. I've even tried alternative - less secure - port settings, IMAP instead of POP3, checked and re-checked the password multiple times, and even tried yahoo servers instead. Nothing will work with Thunderbird, and I don't hold out much hope with other e-mail clients if this is anything to go by. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Are you sure your BT email address is active? If you haven't used it in the last 150 days it has probably been deleted. Can you access it here

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 12

The IMAP settings @Keith_Beddoe  pointed you to are the ones I use for TB and w10 and they do work, I don't now about POP3 as I don't use it

Also Gmail does poll btinternet addresses but make sure your settings are port 995 (POP3) SSL for checking and port 465 SSL for sending

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 12

@Durgemeisterwrote:

Thanks for the replies, but I have tried all these already. I've even tried alternative - less secure - port settings, IMAP instead of POP3, checked and re-checked the password multiple times, and even tried yahoo servers instead. Nothing will work with Thunderbird, and I don't hold out much hope with other e-mail clients if this is anything to go by. 

Hi.

Please be aware that you can't change the account to IMAP from POP3 and visa-versa (e.g. changing port numbers, though for pop3 you can change the port numbers and SSL settings).

Make sure that when you're setting up the new account in Thunderbird, it wants to auto-config. The latest version of TB actually does a pretty good job at this - but even using Manual config, the preset items are correct (for me, I've just tried it).

A few things to try.

Make sure the full email address is used. You might like to try @btopenworld.com to see if that works. If you've already got the (faulty) account in TB, remove the account, then re-add.

Do you get any error messages when TB tries to add the account?

With regard Android, I find BlueMail a good app to use - but do the settings manually.

0 Ratings
Durgemeister
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

@Andy_Nwrote:

@Durgemeisterwrote:

Hi.

Please be aware that you can't change the account to IMAP from POP3 and visa-versa (e.g. changing port numbers, though for pop3 you can change the port numbers and SSL settings).

Make sure that when you're setting up the new account in Thunderbird, it wants to auto-config. The latest version of TB actually does a pretty good job at this - but even using Manual config, the preset items are correct (for me, I've just tried it).

A few things to try.

Make sure the full email address is used. You might like to try @btopenworld.com to see if that works. If you've already got the (faulty) account in TB, remove the account, then re-add.

Do you get any error messages when TB tries to add the account?

With regard Android, I find BlueMail a good app to use - but do the settings manually.

Full email address, I tried using btopenworld instead, and I have repeatedly added and deleted the account. I have even tried using another bt mail-box. I have been allowing it to automatically set-up too, but all I get - after waiting about 10-20 seconds - is "Unable to log in at server. Probably wrong configuration, user name, or password"... well that clears that up doesn't it ? 

In 20 odd years of using email, I have never come across such hassle setting up an email account. For all their faults, apart from the occasional glitch, TalkTalk mail never had such a problem, and I could view it across all platforms easily...

.. oh and Blue mail doesn't work sadly. 

I've opened a new gmail account instead. It may  be IMAP, but at least it works !. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Did you check as I suggested in message 5?

Durgemeister
Contributor
Message 10 of 12

Sorry I didn't reply sooner..

.. yes I did check it was activated.

0 Ratings