Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Dottielottie
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Setting up new BT email account on android phone

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I've recently made the transition from BT Yahoo to BT Mail.  I have no problems logging onto my emails using my laptop, but can no longer view my emails on my phone (Samsung Galaxy 4).

I've followed the instructions in the BT help pages regarding removing the email account on the phone and reconnecting via IMAP/POP, but the phone continuously tells me that I can't connect to the server and I've tried both Pop and Imap now.  The username and password are both correct.  I'm at a loss to understand what's going on.

Can any of you help?

Kind regards

Dottielottie

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Setting up new BT email account on android phone

Go to solution
Configure the account manually rather than let any wizard set it up. Servers are mail.btinternet.com, incoming port 993 for IMAP, or 995 for POP, SSL selected, outgoing port 465 SSL selected. User name, full email address, tick authentication required
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
If you are trying to use the Yahoo mail app, that will no longer work. You need to use another mail app, I use the default Android but aquamail is also recommended
0 Ratings
Dottielottie
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks Licquorice,

I tried to do as you suggested yesterday several times and I just couldn't connect.  Today, it seems to be working after a password reset.

Does it matter whether I connect to IMAP if I was connected to POP initially?  All the BT help guides say it's preferable to connect to IMAP, but it looks like my Yahoo mail was connected to POP.  Do I have to use the same server as before and which is the best?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Server needs to be mail.btinternet.com

POP/IMAP is purely personal preference and how you use your device(s). With POP3, everything is downloaded to your device (although a copy can be left on the server if required) and multiple devices aren't synced. With IMAP, alll devices are synced and all folders can be synced.

0 Ratings
Dottielottie
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

....so if I've migrated to BT Mail using POP, can I suddenly change to IMAP?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

If you like, yes. You will have to delete the account on the phone first though and then set it up again as IMAP, you can't actually change from one to the other on the fly.

0 Ratings