Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
warmbells
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Setup BT email on Thunderbird?

Go to solution

Hi all,

How do I setup Thunderbird to receive my BT emails?

Thanks,

Gerald

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 6

Re: Setup BT email on Thunderbird?

Go to solution

I found that the settings at https://www.bt.com/help/email/manage-email-account/manual-settings/what-are-the-settings-for-outgoin... didn't work so I altered them slightly and they work fine

IMAP settings

Incoming Mail Server: imap.btinternet.com

Port: 993 (this should be automatically populated by selecting the SSL encryption)

SSL Encryption: Enabled SSL/TLS

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

Root folder/path:

Folder separator: . (full stop)

Please do NOT enable "secure password authentication" (SPA). It's not needed when you use SSL encryption and won't work.

If your IMAP client supports it, we recommend you also set up the following folders:

• Trash
  • Sent Items
  • Drafts

SMTP:

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selecting SSL, so you'll need to check)

SSL Encryption: Enabled SSL/TLS

Authentication: PLAIN

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

The first thing you need to do is deicide if you want T'bird to use POP3 or IMAP. 

POP3 does not synchronise with the BT servers so if you send an email in T'bird while it will send it will not show up in the BTMail webmail as having been sent or if you delete an email in T'bird it will not be deleted from the BT servers. 

If you set up any additional folders on T'bird they will not be replicated on the BT servers so will not show up if you log onto BTMail via webmail.

If you set up T'bird as an IMAP account it will replicate the BT servers so anything you do via T'Bird will be found when you log onto BTMail via webmail such as deleting email on T'bird will also delete it from the BT servers and any folders you set up T'bird will be replicated on the BT servers and visa versa. 

This means that if you have to use webmail, such as if you are away from your own device, everything will be there just as it is on T'bird.

Have a look at these links.

Setting up your email | BT Help

Manual Account Configuration | Thunderbird Help (mozilla.org)

The correct settings that you will need if setting up T'bird are as per this link.

What are the settings for outgoing and incoming BT Email servers? | BT Help

warmbells
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Thanks for the info, I will have a go later this evening.
Gerald
0 Ratings
Graham18
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

There are a couple of Thunderbird Add-ons  -  I use CardBook  -  which allow you to use your BT Mail contacts, and synchronise any changes made to contacts in Thunderbird with the Webmail contacts, and vice versa.   The contacts server is card.btinternet.com

0 Ratings
warmbells
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks,

Got it setup after my early evening doze, (73,) got all the emails sent since I started with BT FTTP in October.

Gerald