cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsturmer
Beginner
Message 1 of 3

Slow email download on Macs

Having intermittent issues with a slow down load of @btinternet.com emails via Mail on a MacBook Pro and Mac desktop. The BT Broadband is running fine with acceptable download speeds of 20+. Basic email can take 20-30 seconds to populate, those with attachments can take a few minutes. This has been going on for a couple of months, any suggestions please. TIA

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
ROB13
Beginner
Message 2 of 3

Re: Slow email download on Macs

Hi,  I have just found this thread after weeks of trying to get my MacBook Air to connect with btinternet.com mail, or it taking an age to download when it did eventually connect.After many conversations with BT who told me that my e-mail was working following their checks, they indicated that the fault must be with Apple and their settings.

I contacted Apple who were very helpful and we got to the bottom of the problem, this was the solution:

I needed to open the settings tab.  Open network.  Click on advanced ( at the bottom right of the window ).  Click on proxies ( at the top of the window ).  Then uncheck any of the boxes referring to proxies ( in my case it was " socks proxy" .  Click on apply or ok and then all was great. 

This took about 5 minutes, now all is great and working. I was also advised by Apple to download Malwarebytes and run it. This is a free download and it found 12 problems.  Well done Apple an end to my troubles.

Hope this helps, I was amazed that the problem was actually in "network" rather than "mail".

jsturmer
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Slow email download on Macs

Hi ROB13

Many thanks for the info. None of my proxy boxes are ticked. I think I will contact Apple help and see how I get on. 

0 Ratings