Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeckhamRose
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 16

Re: Some emails not downloading to client

Go to solution

Just a bit of help and if I can find the right place to post this I shall.  If you are not getting emails coming through from web based mail to your email clients on your phone and Windows Live Mail for example, then go into your Web Based Mail and change the password.  This was advised to me by BT and guess what, it worked.  So now go back into the email client and change that email address's password as well, and the emails shall trickle forth. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 16

Go to solution

@PeckhamRosewrote:

Just a bit of help and if I can find the right place to post this I shall.  If you are not getting emails coming through from web based mail to your email clients on your phone and Windows Live Mail for example, then go into your Web Based Mail and change the password.  This was advised to me by BT and guess what, it worked.  So now go back into the email client and change that email address's password as well, and the emails shall trickle forth. 

Hi. Thanks for the info.

The recommended forum advice from regulars of doing nothing is typically the answer, with a suggestion of password change in case it doesn't work for a few days. Some users do indeed change password, but that sometimes doesn't work. In that case, the advice is to change the password again - making sure no device is set to auto-check for emails and waiting for at least 15-20 minutes (though an hour is also recommended) before trying on one device only.

This tends to only affect BTYahoo mail accounts.

0 Ratings
PeckhamRose
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 16

Go to solution

I did indeed do that. I changed it on web based mail then on my phone, and the emails immediately came, then on  laptop's Windows Live Mail and ditto.  Interestingly, I had to do it on my phone because weirdly if my laptop Window Live Mails gets my emails it won't go to my phone. If my laptop is off then it will go to my phone till I get it on the laptop.  But this only happens with one of my emails! But that is a different issue.  Thanks for all attempts to help.  I hope my reply above helps others. Change the password in Web Based Mail. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 16

Go to solution

That is presumably because you have WLM configured as POP3 and  'leave the message on the server' unticked. WLM will download the email to your laptop and delete it from the server hence it is unavailable to your phone. Either configure WLM as IMAP or tick the box to leave a copy of the message on the server.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 16

Go to solution

As has already been pointed out, if your emails suddenly stop for no reason the best advice is to wait for a day or two to see if they restart.  If you can access your email via a web browser (webmail) there is obviously nothing wrong with your password so it should not be changed and doing it as the first resort can lead to more problems than it solves.

Changing your password should only be done if the emails do not restart after a couple of days and you should stop your devices from fetching emails for at least 30 minutes after you have changed your password and then only change to the new password on your devices one at a time ensuring that it works before moving onto the next device.

As regards your own problem with WLM, it sounds like you have your WLM set up as a POP3 account and the setting "leave a copy on server" has not been ticked.

This means that if you check your emails on your laptop first, after WLM has downloaded them they are deleted from the server which means when you subsequently check for emails on your phone there are none on the server for the phone to retrieve.

0 Ratings
PeckhamRose
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 16

Go to solution
Thank you Distinguished Sage! I just went into Windows Live Mail and changed that so they stay on the server. Really appreciate your further help here. On the previous matter, I changed my email's password when advised to do so by BT after about a week of getting nowhere. It worked immediately. My hair should grow back very soon.....
0 Ratings