cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saz24
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Somebody else’s email being delivered to my email account

Hi, as a long standing user of BT email, I originally was issued with both btinternet and btopenworld email addresses in my name. Over the years the Btinternet address has been my main account with btopenworld not being used (but at no time has the address been given up).

Occasionally over the past few months I receive emails that are sent to the btopenworld address under my name but appear to be destined for somebody else with the same name as me, as if the email address has been reallocated.

I thought that the emails may be spam, but they contain things like pdf delivery notes to a person with the same name as me in another part of the country. I am concerned that if I am receiving somebody else’s email, as well as having a GPDR issue, my email may also be delivered to somebody else.

Has anybody else seen a similar problem? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Somebody else’s email being delivered to my email account

You have 2 interchangeable email addresses  one ending @btinternet.com and the other @btopenworld.com with the start exactly the same name

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Somebody has simply misaddressed the email, sent it to you instead of the intended recipient. I get emails all time addressed to me but  intended for somebody else. It's just the equivalent of a 'wrong number' in phone terms. You could just reply saying you are not the intended recipient and ask the sender to check their details.

0 Ratings
Saz24
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Yes that is correct. I do have 2 email addresses (and have had for years) however the btopenworld one I haven't used for years (and neither have I ever given it up). I have recently got btopenworld emails that came into my btinternet account that were for a person with the same name as me but when i looked into the attachment it had their address and what they had purchased on it. Surely this is not correct.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

A @btopenworld and @btinternet email addresses are one and the same thing, a mail sent to either will go to the same recipient and has absolutely no bearing on your problem.

Please read what I posted above, it is just an email sent to you by mistake.

0 Ratings