cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Someone I don't know is handing out my email address

Go to solution

The subject title describes it quite well.

For a long time now I have received emails addressed to me but dealing with subjects or responding to queries etc that I know nothing about.

I ASSUME this person is making a genuine mistake so I contacted BT several years ago and was told someone had incorrectly set up a secondary address on their main email account, that BT had contacted them to point out the error and the problem would not arise again.

Things did quiet down for a time but over the last 5 years or so I have been getting more and more emails obviously not intended for me. To give you an idea of the range of contacts......I know the person is a Mason, they have a holiday property they let out, they are a regular visitor to a well known hotel chain and so on. I have received information about the sale of a house, thanks for helping out someone in trouble and much more.

The latest email (yesterday) thanks me for a Just Giving donation, which of course I didn't make and JustGiving cannot help solve the problem as they have checked their system and the donor definitely provided my address!

In 9 out of 10 cases I reply explaining I am not the person they are trying to contact but despite asking......I never get a corrected address so I can contact the person responsible and ask them to stop using my email.

I searched the forum and found a similar - but not identical - problem from 2012 but nothing more recent.

Any thoughts, advice or guidance?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Someone I don't know is handing out my email address

Go to solution

Happens to me now and again. There is absolutely nothing you or BT can do except ask the sender to remove your address from their records.

I ASSUME this person is making a genuine mistake so I contacted BT several years ago and was told someone had incorrectly set up a secondary address on their main email account, that BT had contacted them to point out the error and the problem would not arise again.

BT were telling you complete nonsense, that would not have been possible.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 4

Go to solution

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Maybe I have to be more philosophical about it and try harder to get the person's actual email address so I can contact them directly.

Heigh ho.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

To be honest, its not worth the effort. Just delete the mails that are not intended for you.

0 Ratings