cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 25

Re: Someone else had my BTInternet email address!

This is absolutely disgraceful but if BT continue with the policy of using the BTID password to access email, will probably happen again. When the MYBT access was first introduced, the user name could be anything, just a text string. I therefore chose a text string at random and did not use my email address. At some point, another customer decided to use my email address as his user name (probably in error, mistaking it for his address), the system  allowed this to happen as the address in question hadn't previously been used as a user name. The person concerned had also given BT the same address as his contact details so I recieved all his correspondence from BT. Calls to the helpdesk were, as you can imagine, fruitless and as his phone number didn't recieve incoming calls, I was unable to contact him personally and let him know and so learned to live with it. I must admit I haven't recieved any of his bill notification emails for a couple of years now so I'm hoping he has closed his account. However, what happens when the great migration occurs if he hasn't closed his account? He has a BTID that is not his email address and I have an email address that is not my BTID, which takes precedence when they merge? Does he get my email address (over my dead body) or do I get his BTID?  Would appreciate any advice from the mods.

Highlighted
spackhead
Contributor
Message 12 of 25

exactly same thing happened to me. licquorice

https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Cannot-change-MyBT-username-to-my-btinternet-email-addres...

apparently BT does not have a string check when creating BT IDs so in theory anyone could grab your email addy as their login.

During my ordeal getting this sorted, BT 'helpdesk' revealed sensitive information to me of the person who had used my email address.

If it was not for the help of the mod Neil here I would have been completely stuck

On a plus point it did make me go elsewhere for a mail host which has served me well now BT have borked all of my mail forwarding through their unbelievable stance on Netnames.

BT seem to be a multi billion pound company whose IT decisions are made by individuals who should not even have access to a Sinclair ZX

Message 13 of 25

@licquorice wrote:

This is absolutely disgraceful but if BT continue with the policy of using the BTID password to access email, will probably happen again. ......

When did we start raising our anxieties about this security issue? Months ago.

Has BT responded?

Has BT reacted appropriately?

P.S. Found one thread  (23 April 2014)

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/MyBT-and-new-BT-Email-using-common-ID-and-password/td-p/1240869

"There should be NO relationship between MyBT and email whatsoever. If I want to go to MyBT that is where I would log on with the appropriate credentials. If I want to go to email that is where I would log on with DIFFERENT credentials. I don't care where the administration of email accounts is done, it can be from either log in, but not by a set of common credentilals."

"Hello BT? Can BT clarify this matter please? A simple Yes or No will do for now please." (that was the last post there - 24 April 2014)

Slip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 25

Well you were right Liquorice, BT customer services haven't sorted this. In fact their 'level 2' people (is that a real department??) didn't call me today in spite of the promise I received last night.  So I will contact the moderators as recommended.

I don't want the email address, I thought it was mine but clearly its the other way round.  The only reason I requested it was because a BT app on my phone asked for it!  And yes customer services asked my name/address/landline number/customer number/date of birth/and a security question before they gave me the email address and password the other night.  Its bad enough that BT have managed to give me access to someone elses account, but worse still they (as in customer services) don't seem interested in sorting it... even worse still that it was me who had to contact my namesake to tell him all about this.

Here's hoping you guys can sort it out.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Quelch
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 25

@Slip wrote:

Well you were right Liquorice, BT customer services haven't sorted this. In fact their 'level 2' people (is that a real department??) didn't call me today in spite of the promise I received last night.  So I will contact the moderators as recommended.

I don't want the email address, I thought it was mine but clearly its the other way round.  The only reason I requested it was because a BT app on my phone asked for it!  And yes customer services asked my name/address/customer number/date of birth/and a security question before they gave me the email address and password the other night.  Its bad enough that BT have managed to give me access to someone elses account, but worse still they (as in customer services) don't seem interested in sorting it... even worse still that it was me who had to contact my namesake to tell him all about this.

Here's hoping you guys can sort it out.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Don't forget - you can help stop this happening again (maybe) by reporting it to the Information Commissioner. I presume BT will have to notify them anyway of the data breach, but it makes sense for you to also make your own report.

http://ico.org.uk/concerns/handling

so the ico can add it to their pile of "no action because they are too big for us to tackle" cases.

Hope it gets sorted.

0 Ratings
ptown
Beginner
Message 16 of 25

Thanks Slip, for the postings and your text message.

I spent the morning on the phone to BT yesterday, online chat, telephone support etc. finally after explaining what negative publicity would be generated if this wasn't taken seriously I was able to speak to a Manager who did finally (with the help of this thread) begin to understand the issue and start to unravel the chain of events.

I'm promised a call tomorrow when they have undertaken their internal investigation.

I can take some consolation that the OP was a man of good character and that he contacted me. Goodness knows where I would be if that had not been the case and my personal information was free for misuse.

I have contacted the ICO, I'm promised a respnse within 30 days...

I owe you a beer Slip. Thank you.

Squelch
Contributor
Message 17 of 25

I'd like to echo the concerns about the use of an email-like BTID, and reiterate that while this exact situation hadn't been foreseen, the security implications have.

I would like to extend my sympathies to both parties involved, and my dissmay at the apparent slipshod approach to customers personal information.

I have an ongoing problem with my account being double charged, and was concerned that I hadn't recieved a response for some time. Yesterday I discovered CS replies in my spam folder where they were coming through without issue beforehand. This coincided with a raft of notifications from these forums that are quite old now, but were nowhere to be seen up until a day or so ago.

There are some fundemental issues at hand with BTID and email that must be addressed in short order. I do not feel confident with the service provided, or its security. BT WiFi and SmartTalk are the only positive benefits I see, but at what cost? 

0 Ratings
ptown
Beginner
Message 18 of 25

I thought I'd post a quick update.

I took a call this morning from a customer care advisor. The lady told me that my email was secure and it wasn't being hacked. I attempted to explain that it hadn't been hacked and that BT had provded access to my emails to a 3rd party and she wouldn't have it. I asked her what BT's investigations had shown, how I would have some confidence in BT securing my personal data but these questions were not answered. She actually went on to suggest that I may have been the victim of a spam email etc.. I asked her not to insult my intelligence.

I've been through this with BT so many times but it seems their standard approach is to say it wasn't us and it must have been something I did. This post (that I have directed [them] to) clearly details what happend but either they are too arrogant, incompetent or just plain dishonest to accept that they could have in any way been in error.

Another "Manager" will call me tomorrow...

0 Ratings
Quelch
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 25

Sounds like a classic scripted response. It's virtually impossible to get anyone on a recorded call to admit their company has done anything wrong. I'd be inclined to escalate, and the best way of doing that is a boringly detailed and comprehensive letter to the Chiarman's office, which puts everything down firmly but politely, , followed by a summary at the end of your key concerns, and in particular, your specific demands, and the fact that you will be making/have made a formal complaint to the ICO, and also include at the bottom of the letter that you are Cc'ing the letter to the ICO as part of your complaint.

The Chairman is Sir Michael Rake.

Email addresses in BT are failrly predictable firstname dot last name AT bt dot com. But it is better to send a letter "signed for delivery".

Chairman can be found (part time) at:

British Telecommunications PLC
81 Newgate Street,
London EC1A 7AJ

or if you want to plough through the complaints department first,

Customer Service Director
BT PLC
Correspondence Centre
Durham
DH98 1BT

(but I'd Cc a copy to the Chairman's office anyway just so they know it's gone upstairs)

Best of luck, but don't give up.

0 Ratings
Slip
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 25

Wow, so this goes on. A UK representative called me on 11th August.  He confirmed that the email account had been duplicated, he didn't know why, put it down to "system error" but apologised and said that the email address would be dis-associated with my BT account.

I asked if I would still need a BT email address to access the wifi hotspot app on my phone - he said no, my broadband id and password should suffice.  And we left it at that... except of course I couldn't acess the app with my broadband log-in, the app would only accept a BT email address. Grrrr!

So... that was annoying but hey ho, I only really wanted to access free wifi while I was away on holiday, and the holiday is already a distant memory so I didn't take it further when I got home, but.... I had a call from customer services again today, a follow up call.  I explained the current problem - ie I actually do need a BT Email address to access the app.  No problem she said, we'll reactivate your email.  And yes, as you would guess she was preparing to give me access to the duplicate email (and all sub accounts) yet again.

Noooo!  I told her not to, went through the whole duplicate account story got the familiar "Oh no, that couldn't happen, this is your email address" response.

I asked for a new email address.  "So you want me to delete the email account and its sub accounts?"  No! of course not, that will leave the other customer without his email account!!!

So now I am waiting for a call back. Yet again...

0 Ratings