cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Spam Box Filters

Go to solution

For the last month or so both my husband and I have been seeing large number of emails coming into our spam folder. We recognise them as such, do not respond and have been using the block domain name or block sender option before deleting them. However they are continuing to arrive!! My question is how long does it take for the filters to kick in to block these altogether? 

We both report phishing emails from organisations we know such as BT but these are random ones saying that accounts we don't have will be blocked or that my gmail account has been sending out masses of spam and advising me to use them to choose a spam blocker!

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Spam Box Filters

Go to solution

You are more or less wasting your time blocking spam email's email address or domains.

The addresses and domains that you see will almost certainly have been "spoofed" to give the receiver the impression that the spam email is a genuine email.

If you want to block the email address or domain you need to click once on the spam email in your list which will select the email and place a tick in the box on the left hand side.

You then go to the "More" button in the menu bar and click on it then select "View Source". This will open a new box showing the full details of the email including its  "true "email address and domain which will invariably be different from the one you see in your inbox or spam folder.

The email address and/ or domain you see in the "View source" is what you need to block.

Once you have done that it should block future emails coming from that address and /or domain.

The problem is that spammers constantly change "true" email addresses and domains to circumvent spam filter and blocks so you will more than likely find that there is still some spam getting through to your email account although not from the "true" domains that you have blocked.

See link about "spoofing" emails addresses.

Email spoofing - Wikipedia

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you. I have just done that - here are the first few lines of the view source result, which looks as though it is actually being send from a btinternet.com address - obviously I don't want to block the bt domain name but I am unclear how to block the real sender as the "More" menu only seems to give the option of blocking the apparent sender?

Return-Path: <HTML+qcymw.y3v6d30@laredoute.fr>
Received: from btprdrgi007.btinternet.com ([10.248.67.191])
by btprdfep018.mx.internal with ESMTP
id <20240804143557.SENJ4149508.btprdfep018.mx.internal@btprdrgi007.btinternet.com>

Fortunately, I only find these messages when I log in to my webmail rather than on linked phone and tablet. Your help is much appreciated. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution
Further to me reply below I think I have now worked out how to do - could be very tedious trying to do them all though, but I am now wondering if one of my true contacts is being used for the spoofs.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

See this link how to examine the "view source" or email header and how to determine the sending email address and domain.

How to Read Email Headers: 7 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

What are email headers? | Proton

To add an email address or domain to your blocked senders list without using the "More" button and drop down selection you need to log onto your email account and then click on your username at the top right hand side. Select "Settings" and then go to "Mail" in the left hand column and click on "Blocked Senders" you can then manually enter the email address or domain you want to block and click "Save".

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution
Thank you, I hope I have got it sorted now.
0 Ratings