cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JFWfromKernow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 25

Re: Spam emails in my inbox with my name as being from.

If you get any answer please post.... I can get no sense from BT myself.... My in-box is filled with spam from MYSELF in the past 36-48 hours. Some of them, if you click on YOUR 'from' name, give you the email address of the spammer. Some just give your name. Clearly some spammers are forgetting to do something when it actually shows their email address. I am forwarding all of them with the revealed spammers' email address to my bank's fraud department phishing email address.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 25

@JFWfromKernow wrote:
If you get any answer please post.... I can get no sense from BT myself.... My in-box is filled with spam from MYSELF in the past 36-48 hours. Some of them, if you click on YOUR 'from' name, give you the email address of the spammer. Some just give your name. Clearly some spammers are forgetting to do something when it actually shows their email address. I am forwarding all of them with the revealed spammers' email address to my bank's fraud department phishing email address.

Please do not send any of the spam to your bank.

Spammers make mistakes all the time, including failing to understand the spamming tools they buy or indeed make.

0 Ratings
JFWfromKernow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 25

Why not forward them to bank Andy? The fraud department told us to.
0 Ratings
greg1953
Message 14 of 25

I'm getting this, if I hover the cursor over the sender it shows my e-mail address, also the "block" button does not appear on these spams, any ideas ?
Greg
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 25

@greg1953 wrote:
I'm getting this, if I hover the cursor over the sender it shows my e-mail address, also the "block" button does not appear on these spams, any ideas ?
Greg

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I can only guess the reason for a block option to be missing is because your email address is showing as the "From" address.

Blocking is a pointless excercise, as spammers do not use their own email addresses.

You can set a rule to check for the sender address as you, and then create a relevant filter. Typically most people don't send emails to themselves, so this would be fine.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 25

@JFWfromKernow wrote:
Why not forward them to bank Andy? The fraud department told us to.

Are you saying that all these spam emails are pretending to be from your Bank ?

Only ones that pretend to be "from" your bank are the only ones you might like to forward to the bank. They may then try to act and get the phishing (almost certainly hacked) website removed or taken down.

If every single person forwarded the phish emails for a relevant bank, then the bank fraud email department would be swamped. Over the years I've seen many 1000 of these emails, including of course for banks, building societies etc that I've not got accounts for - forwarding them to the bank in question would be counterproductive.

However by the time it has been investigated and action taken, the scammers will have already got some accounts for some unfortunate people who may have fallen foul believing the email to be true. Also web browsers such as Firefox and others will have already "seen" the site URLs as possibly web forgery and tell the user not to click onwards.

0 Ratings
JFWfromKernow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 25

Sorry - where on earth did I say that I thought my bank was sending spam emails. I don't think I said anything like that Andy!! And I'm really not that unintelligent as you seem to think - going by your 'holier than thou' tone. Really no need for it.

To add to your plethora of information - we had our bank account cleared out recently by a Trojan worm/virus being downloaded onto our APPLE computer via a spam email.

It's not that easy - constantly and consistently keeping up the 'port cullis', 'gates' and 'locks' on home/computer security - when you have several people using the home email system, one of whom is vulnerable and doesn't understand the risks associated with clicking here and there without really thinking too much about what they are doing.

For anyone else reading this and struggling to keep up with all this 21st century techno sh*t spoiling our enjoyment of our computers and WANTING to learn about things you actually do NOT already know about:

The planted virus/worm copied all our keystrokes for about 3 days, sending ALL info down the Internet to a polish criminal in Kent. He then went on a massive spending spree without leaving his house - even paying his utility bills and ordering takeaways plus ordering huge furniture deliveries. The fraud dept rang us asking about our spending behaviours - therefore alerting us and them, to a huge breach in our security across ALL accounts / documents / emails - everything we had accessed over those 3 days. Obviously everything was then shut down / suspended and had to be eventually changed and the computer rebuilt. We felt totally cut off as we live in a rural community.

The fraud dept AND Action Fraud told us to forward everything to them we suspect from then on as spam phishing - as once a target, you are especially vulnerable. 'They' are working constantly 24/7 to trace spammers (more than any of us are aware of) and the routes they use - which are relentless. ANY LITTLE PIECE of information is useful to them. That's what THEY told us.

So anybody forwarding a phishing email to the bank fraud phishing account is helping to fight these criminals. Not enough people do.  As in 'real' life not enough people take time to report crimes so the authorities are unaware of the full picture.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 25

Hi again

@JFWfromKernow wrote:

Sorry - where on earth did I say that I thought my bank was sending spam emails. I don't think I said anything like that Andy!! And I'm really not that unintelligent as you seem to think - going by your 'holier than thou' tone. Really no need for it.

Actually I never said anything of the sort, I said :-

Are you saying that all these spam emails are pretending to be from your Bank ?, which is what you implied.

Only ones that pretend to be "from" your bank are the only ones you might like to forward to the bank. They may then try to act and get the phishing (almost certainly hacked) website removed or taken down.

I never actually accused the bank of sending spam at all.

The fraud dept AND Action Fraud told us to forward everything to them we suspect from then on as spam phishing - as once a target, you are especially vulnerable. 'They' are working constantly 24/7 to trace spammers (more than any of us are aware of) and the routes they use - which are relentless. ANY LITTLE PIECE of information is useful to them. That's what THEY told us.

I am actualy fully aware of the action fraud people, and have in the past sent stuff to them. I used to have a system that told me if any received spam emails were from BT IP adddresses, and I then reported them all to the abuse team at BTinternet. They closed the email down and forced people to fill in a form each time, a totally backward step. I also once reported the same static IP address 6 times over a few weeks to the abuse team, and they absolutely nothing until I threatened to inform OFCOM. A static IP address is usually a business, and it seems the abuse teams didn't want to suspend their service. That IP address could have been sending 1000s of spam emails with virus/trojan attachments or send the user to a booby trapped website.

So anybody forwarding a phishing email to the bank fraud phishing account is helping to fight these criminals. Not enough people do.  As in 'real' life not enough people take time to report crimes so the authorities are unaware of the full picture.

I agree with that completely, however sending many to different banks that are not yours is a time consuming hobby.

ISPs do have various spam traps, as well as anti-spam businesses, Spamhaus and many others. There is a lot of emails that are sent to the abuse teams of various ISPs and website hosting companies. I've sent 100s in the past to one particular UK hosting company, and they did absolutely nothing.

0 Ratings
JFWfromKernow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 25

Hello again Andy!  Smiley Happy

No. I really really REALLY did NOT imply my bank was sending spam emails!! I actually said, and you picked up on the paragraph too....:

"I am forwarding all of them with the revealed spammers' email address to my bank's fraud department phishing email address."  

*****THE fraud department - AT the bank*****

If you misread my text then that's an unfortunate misunderstanding on your part.

Listen up though!!    I came on here to find out any possible useful information to help myself.  Also others may learn from my experience!  I presumed we are all in this techno sh*t together?  Any piece of info to help each other in the absence of BT's leadership / knowledge skills is welcome.  But what is really really not welcome or pleasant is bossiness, presumption and arrogance from somebody who really has no authority or qualifications to put themselves on any such a 'wagging finger' platform. 

That's it!   I clearly have no more to learn here (not that I've picked up ONE helpful thing - other than I'm not alone in being an email account victim).   Ciou.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 25

Hey, you listen up. If you think you can defeat spammers you are seriously deluded.
0 Ratings