cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Guru
Message 21 of 25

Re: Spam emails in my inbox with my name as being from.

@JFWfromKernow wrote:

Hello again Andy!  Smiley Happy

No. I really really REALLY did NOT imply my bank was sending spam emails!! I actually said, and you picked up on the paragraph too....:

"I am forwarding all of them with the revealed spammers' email address to my bank's fraud department phishing email address."  

*****THE fraud department - AT the bank*****

If you misread my text then that's an unfortunate misunderstanding on your part.

Hi again.

Let's take a step back. Your post said :-

AND still the spam emails from ME come.  Who is going to help me?????  Is this a REAL threat to my computers'  security or my address book.... Or what?  I keep forwarding these spam emails to my bank phishing/fraud department.  That's all I can do!!!!???

I asked if you were sending all of your spam to their fraud department, which is what you've said above.

I then asked :-

Are you saying that all these spam emails are pretending to be from your Bank ?

which doesn't say you imply the bank was sending spam. The pretend ones as we know are the phish emails pretending to be from a bank for example. The question was about all of your spam, and whether it was phish emails for your bank only, rather than "general" spam.

Nothing says that your bank is sending any emails, which I never did.

Note that the phish emails will almost certainly not contain the spammers' email addresses. That is simply not how they work. The phish email tries to get users to click on links on a hacked website they control so that end users enter their details, which is then picked up by the phishers. The email addresses in the phish will be spoofed or forged.

I'm sorry you had a serious problem with a virus/trojan that's caused heartache. I'm sorry if you feel that anything I've said is the way you believe.

I did say this :-

You can set up a filter to block any emails that have a from address as yours. Typically most people don't send emails to themselves, so it can help.

Spam has been around for decades - and currently the BTMail anti-spam systems are faulty it seems (but not necessarily the Yahoo! ones).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 25

@JFWfromKernow wrote:

That's it!   I clearly have no more to learn here (not that I've picked up ONE helpful thing - other than I'm not alone in being an email account victim).   Ciou.

A few things you should learn and may prove helpful is that everybody on this forum are just customers like you and they are only trying to help, it is bad forum etiquette to hijack another posters thread and lastly having an attitude like yours does not endear anybody to help you.

Good luck getting your bank to stop your spam. Please keep us updated with that one.

0 Ratings
liz222
Aspiring Contributor
Message 23 of 25

Hi Diean,

This is what I did

I changed my password (this didn't seem to make a difference)

I ran a full scan using Microsoft security antivirus (no problems detected but there was a virus on partner's computer).

I looked at the blocking feature in Settings but it is not user friendly and I struggled with it.

I rang BT and asked for help.  They suggested I followed the above steps.

I wrote and posted a letter to BT Correspondence Centre, Providence Row, Durham  DH98 1BT.  I then got a voicemail message on my mobile to say that they had received my letter and that they are currently working on it and it won't be long until it is resolved.  Shortly after that voicemail, the spam stopped arriving.  

I have had 2 spam free days so far.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 25

@liz222 wrote:

Hi Diean,

This is what I did

I changed my password (this didn't seem to make a difference)

I ran a full scan using Microsoft security antivirus (no problems detected but there was a virus on partner's computer).

I looked at the blocking feature in Settings but it is not user friendly and I struggled with it.

I rang BT and asked for help.  They suggested I followed the above steps.

I wrote and posted a letter to BT Correspondence Centre, Providence Row, Durham  DH98 1BT.  I then got a voicemail message on my mobile to say that they had received my letter and that they are currently working on it and it won't be long until it is resolved.  Shortly after that voicemail, the spam stopped arriving.  

I have had 2 spam free days so far.

I did none of that and the spam has stopped. It would appear that either the spammers have moved on or BT have changed the settings.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
essjay
Contributor
Message 25 of 25

I've been getting the same thing on BTYahoo, with virtually all spam email seeming to be sent by me. However I must say that they are all going to my spam folder, and so far I've not had any spam addressed from me in my inbox. In fact I must say that the BTYahoo spam filter has been working very well for me recently (I bet thats put the kiss of death on it).

Steve

0 Ratings