cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Diean
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 25

Spam emails in my inbox with my name as being from.

Title might be a bit cryptic.  What I am trying to say, is that, I have been getting a large nummber of emails that have my name as being the person they are from and they appear in my in box along with all spam emails.  However when I check mark them and then click on spam, they appear in the spam folder with the actual senders title and no longer have my name.  Also I have also notice that a number of spam emails when I preview them so that I can block them there is no block button to click, these when I check the senders email address have my email address in as the sender.  

I no longer get any spam emails going to the spam folder they all go to my inbox.

Has anyone got any idea as to what is going on.  When I have called technical support they just vob me off with saying they will pass it to the back office and they will get back to me, which ends up as no one calls back or gets in touch with me.  I hope that the community will be able to shed some light on these two problems.

Thanks to you all.

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Keng666
Beginner
Message 2 of 25

Re: Spam emails in my inbox with my name as being from.

Yep same problem. Woke this morning to over a dozen spam messages, something's going on.
0 Ratings
Keng666
Beginner
Message 3 of 25

And on and on 50 and counting since this morning
0 Ratings
jpr1312
Beginner
Message 4 of 25

I'm getting at least 40 per day since last week!!! What's going on and what's BT doing about it????
0 Ratings
masonja1
Message 5 of 25

Hi

I am assuming this is the same issue I have had lots of contacts contact me today to say they have recieved 30+ spam emails from me. They have enem arrived in a shared email account at work! Not great when I appear to be offering naughty services to all of my work colleagues! Luckily it was caught by spam filters and notifyed to me so I could clear before team saw

This is the third time this has happend to me in 2 months. I have changed pass word  each time but would lve to know what I can do to provent it happening again!

jackie

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 25

Once spammers have your e-mail address, they can pretend to be you, and there is nothing you can do about it apart from change your e-mail address, and tell anybody important, that your e-mail address has changed, and to ignore any e-mails from the old address.

Changing your password will make no difference at all.

If you avoid posting your new address on any public forum, spammers should not be able to find it out.

It also sounds like your account has been compromised in the past, and they have a copy of your contacts list.

0 Ratings
Keng666
Beginner
Message 7 of 25

I never use my account on public forums, so far nobody I know has had any spam from my account. Going from what I have heard on some other sites it sounds like there's been another mass breach in bt mail, the like of which was blamed on yahoo in the past.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 25

@Keng666 wrote:
I never use my account on public forums, so far nobody I know has had any spam from my account. Going from what I have heard on some other sites it sounds like there's been another mass breach in bt mail, the like of which was blamed on yahoo in the past.

If your account has many contacts, and these are the people that have been receiving emails pretending to be from you - then this could easily be down to the breach that happened 18 months ago. The spammers will clearly have your email address and contacts at that time, and can do it again at any time now or in the future.

Indeed it's likely that many compromised accounts back then were not used to spam "contacts" at that time, but are now - or will be - sent emails pretending to be from the person whose account was compromised.

Unfortunately, the spammers use either the To or Cc fields, so that all the contacts will see other email addresses that they were not aware of to begin with. This makes it even worse of course.

What are these other sites ? Chances are the people reporting it were either unaware of the possible issues I've described above or simply making assumptions.

There is little that can be done about this.

If your email address was used in a spam run, you may have have 100s, 1000s or even 10s of 1000s of bounces or replies. People over the years have had this issue, causing a real problem - I've not seen reports to say this has happened to anyone for a while now, but it must still occur. (It might be these vast amounts of bounce messages are trapped before they get to the end user).

0 Ratings
JFWfromKernow
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 25

And me!!!  I have wasted hours and hours in the last 36 - 48 hours trying to sort out these spam mails - from myself!!!!!    I have 'chatted' to BT, I rang and spoke to India.... The Yahoo department apparently wasn't answering...... It rang and rang out...   Why Yahoo tho as I am now BT Mail.  The BT female answering my call could not assist me herself....... I have posted on BT FaceBook and the simplest of questions cannot be answered.  AND still the spam emails from ME come.  Who is going to help me?????  Is this a REAL threat to my computers'  security or my address book.... Or what?  I keep forwarding these spam emails to my bank phishing/fraud department.  That's all I can do!!!!???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 25

@JFWfromKernow wrote:

And me!!!  I have wasted hours and hours in the last 36 - 48 hours trying to sort out these spam mails - from myself!!!!!    I have 'chatted' to BT, I rang and spoke to India.... The Yahoo department apparently wasn't answering...... It rang and rang out...   Why Yahoo tho as I am now BT Mail.  The BT female answering my call could not assist me herself....... I have posted on BT FaceBook and the simplest of questions cannot be answered.  AND still the spam emails from ME come.  Who is going to help me?????  Is this a REAL threat to my computers'  security or my address book.... Or what?  I keep forwarding these spam emails to my bank phishing/fraud department.  That's all I can do!!!!???

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

Please re-read my previous post.

This has been happening for years, and can affect anyone on any ISP. There is no threat or security issue if you don't do anything to the emails apart from delete.

Frankly forwarding them to your bank or anywhere else will do nothing. The bank can't help. I'm it's afraid it's just a factor of some spam.

You can set up a filter to block any emails that have a from address as yours. Typically most people don't send emails to themselves, so it can help.

0 Ratings