Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Spam emails

Go to solution

Wonder if anyone can help me, Im getting about 8 to 10 spam emails a day mostly from a variety of supermarkets telling me I've won a prize or gift cards. They arent of course from supermarkets, they are all coming from one email address. Ive mark them all as spam and have blocked the email which comes from a  @btinternet.com addy but they are still comng through every day.

I use bt webmail to access my emails

Amy ideas how I can put a stop to this please

Thanks

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 29

Re: Spam emails

Go to solution

Simplest way is to forward the email to phishing@bt.com and postmaster@btinternet.com who will block it at source.

Its always good practice to report this as it saves others from falling victim to it.

This will stop when BT start enforcing DMARC as a security standard, wonder when that will be...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Go to solution

Ive reported the suspect email adress to phishing@bt.com and forwarded a couple of the emails to them, hadn't thought of sending them to postmaster so will do that too when the next batch arrive

Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 29

Go to solution

@cityangelwrote:

Ive reported the suspect email adress to phishing@bt.com and forwarded a couple of the emails to them, hadn't thought of sending them to postmaster so will do that too when the next batch arrive

Thanks

Hi.

This certainly sounds strange that they are all coming "from" the same email address, but to me that's due to a spammer spoofing the email address in a spam run - and have chosen a particular address to use.

That doesn't mean the email account is compromised, far from it. It might not actually be an email address in use, or if it is - the person who currently has it might be getting 100s of bounce or non-delivery messages.

Could you send me a private message with a couple samples the email headers ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 29

Go to solution
The phishing mailbox is probably an automated mailbox which uses tools to analyse the data purely for phishing while postmaster is a manned mailbox for deliverability issues.

They rarely will deal with individual users as they probably get a lot of cases plus their own spam. I recommend sending to them as blocking the sender should work and if it isn’t they would want to know how the email is getting through the filters. Add in the subject line something like Blocking sender doesn’t work and then attach the phishing email, that should really grab their attention.

They have ignored me in the past till I was more diligent in reporting
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 29

Go to solution

Thanks for your help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Go to solution
Will do Andy_N, when some more arrive
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 29

Go to solution

Ive recd about 4 more tonight one from Asda, Morrisons, Boots and another one from Asda, they are all asking me to complete surveys or offering me gift cards.

Now Ive looked at them closer and pressed  ''details''  they are all sent to to this lady with  a  @btinternet.com , adress but a completely different name to mine, so why are they coming to me. Had 10 today

I assumed before they were all coming ''from'' this lady but maybe all the ones I deleted were to her ??

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

Go to solution

They will be coming to you and thousands of other recipients with your addresses in the Bcc field thus invisible.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Go to solution
So if there no way to stop them?
0 Ratings