No, just delete them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 29

Re: Spam emails

Go to solution

Just keep marking them as spam and the spam engines will eventually catch up and also the spammer will eventually move onto another batch of email addresses to send his/her junk to.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution
BTs spam engine is excellent, this used to be terrible but something changed late last year which I suspect they changed their engine as the difference was dramatic. This has caused legitimate emails to be dropped also which I have reported back and it’s getting better now.

If these emails are getting through to you and you are sure it’s not legitimately from supermarkets, send them to postmaster@btinternet.com as advised earlier and they should block it. This will allow them to learn about how this email beat the spam filter.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution

@cityangelwrote:

Ive recd about 4 more tonight one from Asda, Morrisons, Boots and another one from Asda, they are all asking me to complete surveys or offering me gift cards.

Now Ive looked at them closer and pressed  ''details''  they are all sent to to this lady with  a  @btinternet.com , adress but a completely different name to mine, so why are they coming to me. Had 10 today

I assumed before they were all coming ''from'' this lady but maybe all the ones I deleted were to her ??

Typical spam I'm afraid.

So the "From" address is almost certainly different everytime, but the "To" address is the same? As has been mentioned, your email address is in the Bcc field - probably along with 1000s of others. Spammers often send to groups of email addresses (using the Bcc) in an alphabetical format - hence very similar. Other times they will send to the same email part before the @, but to lots of different domains after the @.

I've seen this when the spammer messes up and forgets to use Bcc, or their spam software messes up.

There isn't really a great deal you can do to stop it, unless you can set up filters to do some blocking of these "supermarket" emails. The problem is making sure the filters don't block the wrong thing.

The easiest thing to do is simply delete them. The anti-spam engines should catch up eventually.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution
Thanks everyone for your advice
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution

Hi, Are you on BT Mail or BT Yahoo Mail?

If you are on BT Mail, there is a setting that could affect you if you have it set which is called "SPAM settings for POP users" which is found under settings. Check your settings and make sure its set to "Switch on SPAM filtering (dont download SPAM)".

Also Henryfm in another thread had a good idea which is you can set a rule under settings where you can setup "If To does not contain your email address, then discard or move to spam", this will ensure only email adddressed to you will arrive in your inbox.

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution

@New_To_UK wrote:

Hi, Are you on BT Mail or BT Yahoo Mail?

If you are on BT Mail, there is a setting that could affect you if you have it set which is called "SPAM settings for POP users" which is found under settings. Check your settings and make sure its set to "Switch on SPAM filtering (dont download SPAM)".

Also Henryfm in another thread had a good idea which is you can set a rule under settings where you can setup "If To does not contain your email address, then discard or move to spam", this will ensure only email adddressed to you will arrive in your inbox.

See message 1

"I use bt webmail to access my emails"

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution

I did, i'm not sure that setting is labelled correctly - i have a suspicion that just dosent just affect POP but that setting affects all access mechanisms including webmail.

I will wait for June to confirm the setting on webmail that it set to "Switch on SPAM Filtering (dont download SPAM)".

Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

@New_To_UK wrote:

I did, i'm not sure that setting is labelled correctly - i have a suspicion that just dosent just affect POP but that setting affects all access mechanisms including webmail.

I will wait for June to confirm the setting on webmail that it set to "Switch on SPAM Filtering (dont download SPAM)".

Why would it not be labelled correctly ?

I have it set on BTMail and it still downloads some spam and it lets spam into the webmal inbox.

EDIT: Oh by the way, June is the name of anther poster on another thread you are posting on. This OP is called Diane

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution

Yes, not june but sorry wait for OP Diane to confirm.

I did some nosing over the weekend and i'm pretty positive its labelled incorrectly and that setting affects all users not just POP.

its true that it does not stop emails completely from going into the SPAM folder BUT if you give it enough time sample, the emails when that setting is set to "Switch off Spam filtering and dont identify pontetial spam", you will see a higher volume of emails which look like spam coming to your webmail inbox and a smaller volume to the spam folder. The smaller volume of emails in the spam folder will share a similar charactersitic like specific SPF fails or only from certain companies indicating that they are probably on a separate list with its own rules to the SPAM engine.