Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RogerLyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Spam filter working strangely

Go to solution

Some messages to one of our email accounts (btinternet) are going straight into spam while the same message is received quite happily by another account. We thought at first that they were from a particular contact but the problem seems not that simple.  How can I get to the reason for this and correct it?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Spam filter working strangely

Go to solution

@RogerLyons you can check the spam filter setting settings by logging into your email address at bt.com/mail. The filter instructions are different depending if your on the BT Yahoo or BT Mail service.

0 Ratings
RogerLyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Hello NielO

Thanks for you response.

I have checked the filters on my email address (no blocked addresses) which is working normally

and

My wife's email address whose filter  has some old blocked addresses but   these have nothing to do with various messages that are going straight to spam.

Both addresses are xx@btinternet.com and we use Yahoo rather than BT Mail.

My wife has started having  :-

1. all messages from one address moved to spam,

2. one recent message from me moved to spam (could have had the above address in as a recipient), and

3. one from a sender that would not have mentioned the address in 1.

Where should I look next do you think.

Best Wishes

Roger

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

Nothing you can do unfortunately, just accept it as one of the vagaries of the BT mail systems! You can try marking the mails as not spam but not sure if it will help.

0 Ratings
RogerLyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

This is indeed a disappointing response.

When I worked in IT (some time ago) the strange results that sometimes occured were always eventually traced back to either an outright error in the coding of a program or the failure to program for an unexpected combination of input data.

I take it that the decision to send a message to a client's spam folder is taken before the message gets dispatched to the client system. This decision would, I assume, be influenced by the users filter settings stored in BT's sysems.

If this last assumption is incorrect, could the addition of another client device, an IPad for example, alter the way a message is treated?

The reported error was not always there and started  in the last few months.

Thanks for looking at this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

@RogerLyonswrote:

When I worked in IT (some time ago) the strange results that sometimes occured were always eventually traced back to either an outright error in the coding of a program or the failure to program for an unexpected combination of input data.

I take it that the decision to send a message to a client's spam folder is taken before the message gets dispatched to the client system. This decision would, I assume, be influenced by the users filter settings stored in BT's sysems.

If this last assumption is incorrect, could the addition of another client device, an IPad for example, alter the way a message is treated?

Have you altered the filters recently at all? Can you recheck and have a look at this post :-

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Emails-going-to-trash/m-p/1879548#M63057

it's not quite the same, but may help.

If all's well, then it could be as a result of a faulty anti-spam system - perhaps under overload conditions and marks all emails as spam.

I don't personally know how they work, but as there is a vast amount of spam - it could be that every email is treated as spam and the "system" tries to identify those that are not, rather than the other way around. If this system is overloaded, it might cause issues.

0 Ratings
RogerLyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Hi Andy_N

Thanks for your response.

As far as I can tell there have been no (deliberate) changes to the filter settings. There are a few old blocked addresses but that is all.

I had a look at the post you referred to  and, as you say the circumstances are different. My wife's address is the affected one and she is getting mail from one particular (trusted) contact dropped into spam regularly, every time. This started about six weeks ago. One of my emails forwarded to her was dropped into Spam but it may have had the above contact in as a CC. Apart from that her email is working normally and as expected.

I don't know where the hard working syntax checkers are slaving away but it is unlikely that they are picking up any dodgy text as we are both members of the small group and most messages are CC'd to all of the group.  Mine always arrive fine.

I will look harder at the various windows on the Filters  tab to see if I can spot anything untoward.

Best Wishes

Roger

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

@RogerLyonswrote:

A look at older post will reveall that numerous folk have had problems caused by BTInternet's aggressive and irresponsible spam filtering.  Their objective appears to be to reduce spam to zero whatever the cost which as you will understand will result in the baby being thrown out with the bath water.  Server user based control which used to exist has been removed and if you use the "obsolete" (their phrase) POP3 you no longer can include spam in the retrieval so you have to check the server via a browser or IMAP to double check.

Sour grapes?

In the past couple of months I've had:

1) Forwarded mail from my Power supplier via Gmail to a @btinternet address bounced.  Telling the email team to whitelist it worked then it bounced a few weeks later.  It is currently working.

2) For many (15+) years I've subscribed to email lists for the Pegasus email client (probably the longest standing supported email client on the internet).  Posts have now been blocked.

3) Today I received a letter from Nationwide Credit cards saying that my statement was ready but they had to write because my email was no longer working and to check my email settings.  My Nationwide Current account emails are (or were at the beginning of the month) working.

But hey ho, no spam is getting through.  Oh but wait a minute - I've had several what are obvious spam sitting in my Spam box (not blocked for some reason) and also there an email from one of my ISA providers. 

I've had my @btinternet (currently yahoo based) for, well since dial-up, and as much as it pains me I'm going to have to migrate away. 

Not fit for purpose and a part of a deliberate policy.  The head of email believes he's doing a good job!!

0 Ratings
RogerLyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution
Thanks for your reply. It seems we are quite lucky that the messages are getting into our spam folder rather than being ditched all together.
0 Ratings
martin788
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

My wife had a problem around 10 days ago, she had not received any emails into her email client for 3 days, when I checked her webmail there were around 200 emails in the spam folder and 99% were NOT spam. I had to go through them all and mark as not spam and they were moved to her inbox. It appears to have been ok since I did that.

Since we now cannot download mail from the spam folder with an email client we just never see the spam unless we check webmail which often contains many false positives.

Mail being refused by the email servers is another issue, I have had to make an email account with another provider to receive emails from several of my contacts, one of them was my dentist who uses an email service used by many medical professionals and this is resulting in patients missing appointments and in some cases having to pay a £50 fine!

0 Ratings