Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: Spam filter working strangely

Go to solution

@martin788wrote:

My wife had a problem around 10 days ago, she had not received any emails into her email client for 3 days, when I checked her webmail there were around 200 emails in the spam folder and 99% were NOT spam. I had to go through them all and mark as not spam and they were moved to her inbox. It appears to have been ok since I did that.

Their system is working - very little spam is getting through.

Since we now cannot download mail from the spam folder with an email client we just never see the spam unless we check webmail which often contains many false positives.

Their system is working, they don't want you to download anything they think might be spam so have removed the option to "include messages marked spam" when downloading. 

Mail being refused by the email servers is another issue, I have had to make an email account with another provider to receive emails from several of my contacts, one of them was my dentist who uses an email service used by many medical professionals and this is resulting in patients missing appointments and in some cases having to pay a £50 fine!

Using another  provider is the only answer.  I've had my email a/cs from dial-up days and week by week I've advised my contacts to use an alternative address, one which I can get to mark as spam or not, get a spam report if there is any mail in the spam folder and allows me to whitelist.  In fact - proper email system and still free.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

@martin788wrote:

My wife had a problem around 10 days ago, she had not received any emails into her email client for 3 days, when I checked her webmail there were around 200 emails in the spam folder and 99% were NOT spam. I had to go through them all and mark as not spam and they were moved to her inbox. It appears to have been ok since I did that.

Since we now cannot download mail from the spam folder with an email client we just never see the spam unless we check webmail which often contains many false positives.

Mail being refused by the email servers is another issue, I have had to make an email account with another provider to receive emails from several of my contacts, one of them was my dentist who uses an email service used by many medical professionals and this is resulting in patients missing appointments and in some cases having to pay a £50 fine!

Mail has never been a guaranteed medium. If you're relying solely on appointments for medical or dentist, and they are as well - I suggest you need to contact them. If they have seen missed appointments because people have not received emails, or due to it being treated as spam and dropped etc - then it is they that need to make sure people are aware this can happen.

They can't prove you've received an email, even if they say they've sent it. People should refuse to pay any fine, they can't make you. Of course, if people make an appointment via an online system, then typically the confirmation email would arrive shortly after booking. So if nothing arrives after a period of time, then it would be prudent to find out another way - perhaps by telephone.

With regards emails clients - most can check the spam folder, if the email client is setup as IMAP. The spam folder is therefore accessible and can be checked.

Of course, that doesn't explain your initial paragraph. That could have been due to a rogue spam filter causing the problem. I don't know how they work, but it's even possible they could mark everything as spam initially and send non spam to the Inbox (in other words, the opposite of maybe the expected way they work). If the "non-spam" filter fails, then all messages are treated as spam.

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

@Andy_Nwrote:

@martin788wrote

Mail has never been a guaranteed medium. If you're relying solely on appointments for medical or dentist, and they are as well - I suggest you need to contact them. If they have seen missed appointments because people have not received emails, or due to it being treated as spam and dropped etc - then it is they that need to make sure people are aware this can happen.

They can't prove you've received an email, even if they say they've sent it. People should refuse to pay any fine, they can't make you. Of course, if people make an appointment via an online system, then typically the confirmation email would arrive shortly after booking. So if nothing arrives after a period of time, then it would be prudent to find out another way - perhaps by telephone.

With regards emails clients - most can check the spam folder, if the email client is setup as IMAP. The spam folder is therefore accessible and can be checked.

I receive a lot of email that presumes I will take action on its receipt and I would suspect others do as well even though it has dangers as it is open loop.

BT(Yahoo) mail specifically now does not download mail marked by them as spam via POP3.  They consider POP3 deprecated technology and have no interest in providing better support.  IMAP as you say will show it in the Spam/Bulk mail folder and it is then necessary to move it to the Inbox for a POP3 client to download it.  Other providers have more sensible solutions.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

I receive a lot of email that presumes I will take action on its receipt and I would suspect others do as well even though it has dangers as it is open loop.

BT(Yahoo) mail specifically now does not download mail marked by them as spam via POP3.  They consider POP3 deprecated technology and have no interest in providing better support.  IMAP as you say will show it in the Spam/Bulk mail folder and it is then necessary to move it to the Inbox for a POP3 client to download it.  Other providers have more sensible solutions.

Not sure what you mean about an open loop. Some spammers (and many, many "legitimate" companies) use web beacons or similar techniques to see if people read emails. BT do this as well. It can easily be stopped, but webmail makes that extremely difficult. Using a mail client makes far better sense.

There is no need for separate pop3 access if using IMAP.

0 Ratings
RogerLyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Thanks for your responses.

This is getting very technical (for me at any rate).

It seems that what you all are saying is that email is not a perfect tool and that a system of logic cannot be applied due to the combination of various layers of competing software and what tool you are using to access your mail.

Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

0 Ratings
old_email
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

@Andy_Nwrote:

Not sure what you mean about an open loop. 

Some spammers (and many, many "legitimate" companies) use web beacons or similar techniques to see if people read emails. BT do this as well. It can easily be stopped, but webmail makes that extremely difficult. Using a mail client makes far better sense.to

There is no need for separate pop3 access if using IMAP.

Really?  That's your view.  I find a combination of POP3 and IMAP useful. 

By "open loop" I mean the opposite of "closed loop" where there is an acknowledgment that a message has been received, eg  someone nodding their head when you say something to them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
RogerLyons
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

After some time on a live chat with a BT technician my wife installed a filter instructing the system that if an email addressed to her contains the email address (that was being dropped), then pass it to the inbox.

This appears to fix the problem so I will close this fault.

0 Ratings