cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 33

Re: Spam in my inbox

@Sue036 wrote:

I can't see the sender's actual email address there (... is there a way to see it  - iPhone 12??).

Open the message you would like to view the headers for. From the menu, select View > Message > Raw SourceThe full message will be displayed with all headers.

I also get very few spam messages on my BTMail account, perhaps two a month in a bad month and I also have nothing to do with social media or hand out my email address unless there is a real need to. If I have to use an email address to subscribe to something I use an email address set up just for that purpose and I tick or untick all the boxes about marketing etc. If I find that it gets spam I know the source of how spammers got the address and I can easily delete the email account if need be.

Message 12 of 33

my email address getting the spam is not used on social media

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 33

@borderline wrote:

my email address getting the spam is not used on social media

And I am sure there will be thousands more just like that. Nobody said it was the only reason you get spam but it can be a contributing factor!

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 33

I to used to have "spare" email addresses for registering on sites when it it was BT-yahoo, but they disappeared when yahoo got dropped and suddenly my mail dried up. Hilarious, I had to log into those sites using the old email to change it but the confirmation mail would go to the original email add' which didn't exist anymore :-#

Catch 22!

Am now trying the "rules" option to block bulk senders, hopefully with more success than the water companies and their "outlets" 🤣

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 33

I only have my BT email address linked to one social media account, but I could change the email address for that, so I might do so, in case it helps. It's convenient to get certain notifications from that site in my inbox, but perhaps not essential.

I do have my email address linked to hundreds of other online sites, though. I don't see how I can avoid this as I do practically everything - including almost all of my shopping - online?

I am being pestered by Google to update 70 plus sites where I'm registered with a password has been leaked somehow, due to one  or more of those many sites being hacked. I don't know if this could be contributing to my deluge of spam?

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 33

Re viewing details of the sender's email address, I'm sorry but I can't see a menu with any of those options in the Apple mail app? Am I missing something?

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 33

@Sue036 wrote:

I am being pestered by Google to update 70 plus sites where I'm registered with a password has been leaked somehow, due to one  or more of those many sites being hacked. I don't know if this could be contributing to my deluge of spam?

It would be a fair bet that your email address has been sold to spammers and hackers and that will be at least one if not the main reason your are getting spam.

I would suggest that you change the password on any of the sites that have been compromised and if not being used close down your registration with those sites.

It is worth checking on this site to see  where else your email address has been compromised.

Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach

0 Ratings
Message 18 of 33

@Sue036 wrote:

Re viewing details of the sender's email address, I'm sorry but I can't see a menu with any of those options in the Apple mail app? Am I missing something?

My mistake. The instruction were for viewing on a computer. Apparently you can not view the headers on an iPhone using the Apple mail app. 

You would need to use webmail, using a browser, or try a different email app which does allow you to see the headers.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 33

Yes, I think that's correct and I have checked on that site and it says the same as Google tells me. I did take time out to change the passwords on all on the sites that I felt were most vulnerable (those with payment or financial details) but I suppose I need to sort the rest out too. It's just so much effort to think of a unique password for each site and a way to remember it.  However, you might have a point that most of the ones I haven't changed are the ones I never use, so maybe I should just cancel my registrations with them! I am a hoarder, I also have dozens of unused apps on my phone ...

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 33

Ok and thank you for confirming that. Hence, it can be a bit scary to get odd but plausible emails on my phone, especially at odd hours or if away from home, when logging into my PC isn't an immediate option. 

0 Ratings