cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sriep
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Spam missing

I use https://email.bt.com/mail to access my email online.

I look at my spam folder by selecting the folder called spam.

The problem is that I am not receiving all my spam email. Many genuine emails end up as spam, which is fine as long as I can find them in the spam folder and mark them as safe. However, these emails are not finding their way into my spam folder.

The most common type of email is the password verification email which since a recent update never seem to appear.

I checked my settings but could not see any settings related to spam folders. If it existed I would like to set it so that it does not filter out any spam. so that it all arrives in my spam folder.

Does anyone know how to get my missing spam emails?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Spam missing

The spam that arrives in your spam folder is mail that BT can't determine if it is spam or genuine mail and is therefore delivered to your spam folder for you to decide. The vast majority of spam is deleted as soon as it arrives at the BT mail servers and is not sent on. Unfortunately, the BT spam filters on the servers are somewhat over zealous and tend to throw the baby out with the bathwater. You can try adding the senders to your safe senders list but not sure effective that is for spam dropped at the servers.

0 Ratings
sriep
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

I can't add emails to my safe list until I know what they are and I won't know there is a problem until they don't arrive.

Ok, so I will need to use a different Email provider until this gets fixed. Is there any timeline for fixing the problem?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

It isn't the sort of problem that will have a timescale to fix, spam filters are totally dynamic and change continuously.

Best to use Gmail for important stuff.

0 Ratings
kevinshepherd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Hi Liquorice.

Do you happen to know if I might have also lost the anti-spam  protections when moving from premium to standard (BT broadband bundled) mail?

Since the mailboxes were imported I am getting 50x more junk mail than before. Is this no longer managed at server level ? I can setup the filters Outlook client but it's a shame if this was lost in this migration...

I don't seem to have any spam settings now - tho I'm sure there were before in the webmail options...?

Thanks and nice evening

Kevin

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

There is absolutely no difference in settings between all 3 versions of BT Mail.

The only difference between Premium and Standard is the £7.50/m cost (there is nothing Premium about it!!) and the only difference between Basic and Standard is that Basic is only accessible via webmail.

0 Ratings
kevinshepherd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Thanks for that.

I remember when I wasn't able to find the forwarding option you helped find it.

How about junk mail settings. Hopefully that's hidden away somewhere. Surely BT don't expect to to create white/black-lists?

Cheers, Kevin

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

The only settings that are available are 'Safe Senders' and 'Blocked Senders'. Both can be found by clicking on your username in the top right corner then  Settings > Mail

BT's spam filters are notoriously fickle, they seem to lurch from one extreme to the other.

0 Ratings
kevinshepherd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Thanks. That’s what I feared and confirms a downgrade at some time in the past when it was moved from yahoo. Back then there were various server based protection levels that meant that not only on the client but also web-based - most spam was blocked. White/black lists are less than useless tbh.
So after all this hassle migrating across I’ve earned 7.50 a month and a mailbox full of junk - nice one BT !
0 Ratings
kevinshepherd
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Hi, this is driving me crazy.

Could a BT moderator confirm or otherwise that BT have removed the anti-spam feature of the mail product?

https://www.bt.com/help/email/using-bt-mail-s-anti-spam-features  

Surely no-one in their right mind would use a product that requires to you create your own black or white list?

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings