Message 1 of 8

Spam

The level of spam emails I receive that get past any spam filtering has increased dramatically recently. I can’t stop them by blocking the address because they have got round that by sending them from what seem like random domain names (but with limited number of user names). The only way to stop them was to create a rule on the online server to send emails to Trash that start with info@, support@, news@, etc. This works fine but only for some of them while lots still get through. I don’t know why that would be because the online Trash folder has loads of emails in it (it’s not full though) so the rule must be working but why only for some of them? Any ideas please?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Spam

Hi @Deckie welcome to the community and thanks for posting, I'm sorry to see the level of spam emails you're getting has increased. The actual email address that the email is coming from can be spoofed to appear like it's coming from a completely different address so the rule may not pick up on that.

There are a number of measures you can do to manage spam and I'd recommend checking out this link for help using the BT Email anti-spam features

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Thanks Neil0. I don’t know why the rule isn’t working for some email address, I just checked the spam emails by viewing their source code and they all have other addresses in the code. I checked a legitimate email and found that the real address is the one in the first line that says “Return-Path”. There are many addresses that are common (though the spoofed addresses are all different) so I’ve added the domains from the source code to the blocked emails list in settings by using “*” as the user name and I’ll see if it makes any difference.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Hi @Deckie ,

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if the changes you've made improve things.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

It seems to be working ok but unfortunately they are now changing the real address domain that I’m taking from the source code to put into the blocking list using *. So far there haven’t been any duplications. Lots of the usernames contain "support" but I’m sure that’s deliberate to stop it being used in rules thereby blocking legitimate support emails.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Deckie Our email team would like to take a closer look at this for you. I'll send you a private message in a moment so you can get in touch with the moderation team. If you could include some screenshots of the spam emails that are getting in your reply it would be greatly appreciated.

You'll find the private message by clicking on the envelope in the top right of the community.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Thanks Neil0, I’ve replied to your PM.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

I thought things were improving but I now receive many of the same spam emails every day, too many to go into the online account to edit the rules and the list blocked domains every time. I just block the addresses on the iPad and the blocked list so far has about 50 addresses in it. The addresses may be spoofed but they are all slightly different so I don’t think blocking them is going to make a lot of difference.

Can anyone advise please?

0 Ratings