Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 17

Re: Starbucks footer in Outlook

Go to solution

Thanks, trying that now. I know I could go to my tech department with this but I honestly dont want to face the backlash, so your help is greatly appreciated

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

OK, finally resolved. Turns out the Antivirus software was corrupt and not Outlook itself. Repaired and reboot and the problem has been fixed. Still a concern that logging on to a hotspot can corrupt a program though.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

How could your A/V become corrupted and add a footer to your Outlook email. How did you arrive at that conclusion?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution

Hi J

That content you were seeing at the bottom of your emails is the landing page (also known as login page or captive portal) where you would normally connect/login to the WiFi on your web browser.  Some AV add something to the end of each email after scanning like "Scanned by XYZ software version A.B.C - no viruses detected", and possibly with some logo or advertising depending on what software you use.  If you were not logged in to the WiFI when the AV tried to fetch that content from the internet it would have been redirected to the landing page instead, and instead of realising it had not fetched the correct content it just dumped the result (the landing page) into your email!

So I'd recommend:

- always connect and login to the WiFi before opening Outlook (otherwise you can also see certificate errors when Outlook tries to connect to things on the internet and gets redirected)

- talk to your AV software supplier about their software - I'd call this a bug.

Hope this helps clarify what happened to you.

Regards

Rich

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Why was the OP getting the footer even when connected to his own home network?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

From the limited info in the posts I would guess either:

- he was looking at messages that already had the footer attached to them while on the WiFi

- the AV cached the faulty content and kept attaching it even after he left the WiFi and that's why repairing/re-installing the AV fixed the problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

I don't know how exactly it was corrupted but up until I started getting those starbucks footers, the AVG signature was always present... it wasn't so I took a gamble, seeing as I'd tried everything else.

0 Ratings