Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 41 of 132

Re: Staying Logged In?

@Lloydy21 wrote:

now there's where it really makes no-sense. Chrome knows my password so I don't have to keep re-entering it so IF someone managed to get hold of my unlocked laptop (unlikely given I'm sat in my home office in front of it) then the log out feature does precisely nothing to stop people nefariously using my email anyway.

It is not BT that is making no sense. BT logs you out at network level.

It is you choosing to diminish your own security by storing passwords on a browser and possibly not having a password on Windows set to activate when your laptop goes to "sleep". You are choosing convenience over security.

Hopefully your home office won't be broken into and your laptop stolen. 

0 Ratings
Magallenic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 42 of 132

While I understand that security is an issue in many circumstances, as I predominantly use my computer at home, being prompted to log in again several times a day (and sometimes several times an hour) is very inconvenient (and unwelcome). At the very least there should be an option to select the frequency of the prompt (for a home user this could be several hours as no one else has access to my comp).

It is annoying that this change was foisted upon us without any prior warning (not very good publicity for a 'communications' company)!

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 43 of 132

You are all missing the point, it is the open login on the server that is the security risk, not your PC.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 132

0 Ratings
Magallenic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 132

Why isn't the security 'at the server' being dealt with rather than inconveniencing the end user (and why, after so many years, has this 'now' become an issue).

Other web based email suppliers 'do' prompt but not so frequentlyQ

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 132

@Magallenic wrote:

Why isn't the security 'at the server' being dealt with rather than inconveniencing the end user (and why, after so many years, has this 'now' become an issue).

Other web based email suppliers 'do' prompt but not so frequentlyQ

As none of the posters on this thread work for or make policy for BT or Yahoo, if you are on the BTYahoo email system,  I think you would need to contact their respective CEOs and ask them for an explanation but I suspect it will be to do with the millions of email accounts that have been hacked over the past few years. 

Highlighted
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 47 of 132

Interesting to note that BT state that "after 20 minutes of inactivity you'll be logged ou!" I would frequently refresh the browser by hitting the 'inbox' forcing it to do a search for a new email, it will log me out considerably shorter than 20 minutes after doing that. Pressing the 'inbox' to refresh is activity, but they don't seem to think so.

0 Ratings
Lloydy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 48 of 132

"It is you choosing to diminish your own security by storing passwords on a browser and possibly not having a password on Windows set to activate when your laptop goes to "sleep". You are choosing convenience over security."

@gg30340 there's the rub, yes I want to choose convenience but I'm not being allowed to.

For what it's worth yes the laptop does activate the password on (auto) sleep and it's also encrypted but that's not really the point here.

Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 49 of 132

With respect, it is YOU that are missing the point. It is our choice whether we are compromising our security or not. We are grown ups, and are perfectly capable of making that decision. There should be an option in the settings to allow you to alter the 'seesion expired' duration, even switching it off! You can bleat on all you want about 'security', but there are still many people who buy a printer without buying associated insurance with it, or use a central heating boiler with no service agreement, we are risk takers LOL Just leave us to it - if we want to wreck our lives by keeping our email account active, we should be allowed to!

Magallenic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 50 of 132

Strangely, when I access BT emails on my Kindle Fire tablet or smart phone, there is no need to log in at all. I just select the email app and I'm in straightaway. It's only on the laptop and PC where we're asked to log in again every so often. Are tablets and smart phones inherently more secure? I wouldn't have thought so, but what do I know?