Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 51 of 132

Re: Staying Logged In?

@Magallenic wrote:

Strangely, when I access BT emails on my Kindle Fire tablet or smart phone, there is no need to log in at all. I just select the email app and I'm in straightaway. It's only on the laptop and PC where we're asked to log in again every so often. Are tablets and smart phones inherently more secure? I wouldn't have thought so, but what do I know?

That's because your app on your Kindle and smartphone is an email client not webmail. When you set them up you entered your email password and now it is logging in for you.

Magallenic
Aspiring Contributor
Message 52 of 132

Thanks, that makes sense now.

0 Ratings
weeton1
Beginner
Message 53 of 132

Me too. I work from home and stay logged in whilst at computer. I have never got on with client programmes I have tried and just prefer to use webmail. BT's offering is far from perfect (still on Yahoo several years after migration began!) and is becoming even less so very fast.
0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 54 of 132

At the very least, they should make the tab change to black indicating they've thrown you off the netwrok - currently, it stays the same so you aren't even aware you no longer have live emails till you open the full page!

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 55 of 132

Really **bleep****g me off now, just missed an Ebay email notification on being outbid on an item. Oh well, I have enough watches anyway LOL Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
n1ckk1ng2
Message 56 of 132

The most frustrating aspects are

1) being given a new window for the re-login - using the current tab is far tidier, and

2) At one point, the login page gave a list of the user's account names, allowing a single click selection before entering the password. Surely this has no implication on the aspects discussed above, and would relieve a lot of frustration especially for users with long names: including the domain mine is a modest 22 keystrokes so I keep it in a notepad doc for copying/pasting... or can one create a shortcut along the lines https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform user=abc@bt.com (and for "idiots" pass=pass1234)? I'm guessing you might say that the secure session needs to be set up first before the password is sent.

There really must be a warning that the user is about to be logged off if you can't manage to detect that the user is actually typing and hold the account open.

When you create these new versions of codeware, do you actually try a beta version on a small group of real, non-techie users to iron out these bugs?

allanraymond
Aspiring Expert
Message 57 of 132

I'm in sync with you.

I have just started to being forced to continually  log into the web based BT Yahoo and I agree it is getting annoying.

I have also responded in a like minded manner on another thread that the suggestion by some indivuals even though well intended to use an email client is just masking there is a problem.

Out of prefenece I prefer using the web based facility to initially read and store my emails until such time as I selectively downoad them to my PC using Windows Live Mail or less frequenty Thunderbird.

Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 58 of 132

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most frustrating aspects are

1) being given a new window for the re-login - using the current tab is far tidier, and

2) At one point, the login page gave a list of the user's account names, allowing a single click selection before entering the password. Surely this has no implication on the aspects discussed above, and would relieve a lot of frustration especially for users with long names: including the domain mine is a modest 22 keystrokes so I keep it in a notepad doc for copying/pasting... or can one create a shortcut along the lines https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform user=abc@bt.com (and for "idiots" pass=pass1234)? I'm guessing you might say that the secure session needs to be set up first before the password is sent.

There really must be a warning that the user is about to be logged off if you can't manage to detect that the user is actually typing and hold the account open.

When you create these new versions of codeware, do you actually try a beta version on a small group of real, non-techie users to iron out these bugs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said Sir, an excellent summary of how BT have screwed up their email service...

Johnoo
Expert
Message 59 of 132

@licquorice wrote:

If you were to use the right tool for the job, an email client, you wouldn't have this problem. It logs in checks for mail and then logs out automatically every 10 minutes or how often you have set it to.

I changed to Thunderbird because of this "Log Out" situation.

I've set T.Bird to pick up mail every 4 minutes

So does this means it does log out automatically & then log in automatically 4 minutes later?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 60 of 132

Yep

Setting it to every 4 minutes seems rather excessive though.

0 Ratings