Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 61 of 132

Re: Staying Logged In?

4 minutes seems fine - if BT operated properly, their web based email refreshes on a minute by minute basis which is great. Unless of course it's knocked you off the network and you don't notice for an hour!

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 62 of 132

@licquorice wrote:

Yep

Setting it to every 4 minutes seems rather excessive though.

Thanks but I thought 4 minutes just kept me up to date with no security problems

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 63 of 132

====================================================================

Thanks but I thought 4 minutes just kept me up to date with no security problems

Just curious - what security problems do you envisage?
0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 64 of 132

@Stephen5000 wrote:

Just curious - what security problems do you envisage?

One of the reasons BT say for removing continuous log in is to increase security.

I moved to T.Bird because I got annoyed with having to log in on many occasions during the day because of this BT change.

I liked the T. Bird method of picking up mail at time intervals that can be set, I did not realise at the time that T. Bird automatically logged out & then back in.

So security problems envisaged:- being hacked due to continuous log in

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 65 of 132

Ah yes, the 'hacked' concern. I've been using this email address for 23 years, logged in for at least 8 hours/day. Gosh, the number of times I've been hacked is a great strain on my head. It's happened at least, well, let me see, maybe it's... nope, actually, it's zero. But hey, if it helps you sleep at night, good luck to you buddy. Just wish that BT would give customers the option in 'settings' whether to log out every 20 minutes, or if you feel really reckless with life, just to stay logged in and take your chances LOL

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 66 of 132

Yawn

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 67 of 132

=====

Yawn

====

Hey, you said a few posts back that you'd finished with this thread, just couldn't resist, eh? LOL

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 68 of 132

That's great news that there was at least one BTYahoo/Yahoo email account that wasn't hacked in the mass hackings in 2013 and 2014 compared with the 3 billion that Yahoo say were. 

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 69 of 132

@Stephen5000 wrote:

Ah yes, the 'hacked' concern. I've been using this email address for 23 years, logged in for at least 8 hours/day. Gosh, the number of times I've been hacked is a great strain on my head. It's happened at least, well, let me see, maybe it's... nope, actually, it's zero. But hey, if it helps you sleep at night, good luck to you buddy. Just wish that BT would give customers the option in 'settings' whether to log out every 20 minutes, or if you feel really reckless with life, just to stay logged in and take your chances LOL

Must be also said that T.Bird has far better facilities than BT Mail, one simple example you can "Save as" a e mail to you5r c drive, another example is that it's very easy to carry out a complete back up of the T. Bird mail system.

Just hope this helps

Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 70 of 132

Indeed, great news! Though you forgot to mention that the hack involved database information being trawled, not 'open' email accounts. Nothing a 'customer' could have prevented, but stuff that the host companies like BT, and Yahoo, should have been much vigilant on...

0 Ratings