Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 31 of 132

Re: Staying Logged In?

@Stephen5000 wrote:
I've been using computers since windows 3.1.

Win 3.1 wasn't multi-user. There's progress for you Smiley Wink!

Lloydy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 132

@Stephen5000 All of the above and all of your responses, I work from home, only want to use a web account, have had a T21 account since the mid 90s and don't want to be constantly logged out.

Incidentally this very forum has an option to stay logged in still active...

jlovie
Aspiring Expert
Message 33 of 132

I guess they've done it so they can pester me with those really annoying video adverts in my inbox, which switch back on every time I'm forced to log in again.

If they were serious about security in their email system they wouldn't have taken years to try and untangle themselves from Yahoo, responsible for some of the largest data breaches in history.

Another fee hike too - is this to pay footballers again, or to cover for BT's Italian accounting scandal?

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 34 of 132

Hey, if you use FireFox, just install AdBlock Plus. It's free, and stops all those pesky adverts! BT aren't a customer focused company at all, even though I'm a 'premium email' customer, they still provide me with no option to override their intensely irritating 'auto log out' which now seems to be at random, not every 2 hours as was first suggested. Even logged me out in the middle of writing an email!

0 Ratings
Lloydy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 132

"they still provide me with no option to override their intensely irritating 'auto log out' which now seems to be at random, not every 2 hours as was first suggested"

I clicked on it this morning when I logged in and it said it is every 20 minutes! Infuriating.

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 36 of 132

Now here's the thing, I have a relatively strong password, 18 characters, however, having to log in 16 times so far today alone, I have now changed my password to something shorter. Hey, this improvement in security is really working! LOL

0 Ratings
Lloydy21
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 132

now there's where it really makes no-sense. Chrome knows my password so I don't have to keep re-entering it so IF someone managed to get hold of my unlocked laptop (unlikely given I'm sat in my home office in front of it) then the log out feature does precisely nothing to stop people nefariously using my email anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 132

Meanwhile I entered the password in my mail client the last time I changed it a few months ago and haven't entered it once since. Smiley Wink right tool for the job. Email on a web browser is like eating soup with a fork, can just about be done but not recommended.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 132

@Lloydy21 wrote:

now there's where it really makes no-sense. Chrome knows my password so I don't have to keep re-entering it so IF someone managed to get hold of my unlocked laptop (unlikely given I'm sat in my home office in front of it) then the log out feature does precisely nothing to stop people nefariously using my email anyway.

Its not the personal security of your laptop, its security at the network level. An open login on a server can be exploited.

0 Ratings
Stephen5000
Contributor
Message 40 of 132

"Meanwhile I entered the password in my mail client the last time I changed it a few months ago and haven't entered it once since. Smiley Wink right tool for the job. Email on a web browser is like eating soup with a fork, can just about be done but not recommended."

Geeze man, you just won't let it lie that there are some folk who consciously make a decision to use a web based email service LOL As for security, if someone got hold of my laptop, they'd just have to open Thunderbird to get access to my email host. With web based, I have to log in everytime, and when my laptop is shut, it's secure. I really do appreciate your point of view, but honestly, can't you stop lambasting those of us that have NO interest in using an email program no matter how much you think the sun shines out of it?? Smiley LOL

0 Ratings