cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Step 2 of verification is impossible to complete

I was migrated yesterday but I can't finish setting up my BT ID. Step 1 is ok, it happily uses my btinternet email address.

At step 2 I get a message 'We can see that the BT ID username you have chosen is also a myBT username. Enter your password to link your my BT profile to your BT ID'

The trouble is I DON'T have a myBT username. I suspect at this point it may be expecting my husband's password? (it definitely doesn't want mine even though my email address is displayed and can't be changed.)  He has the myBT username for our account with his own login and email address etc but for historic reasons ( I used to pay the broadband bill separately years ago) the primary email address is mine. It hasn't been a problem until now but there is no way to skip this step.

I suspect if he goes through the setup process first for his email, my email account will become his and he won't be able to make it an affiliate because it's the primary address.

I think I only have a few days to sort this out. Help please!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Step 2 of verification is impossible to complete

Have you tried logging into MyBT with your email address and password to see what happens.
0 Ratings
PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Tried it just now. it doesn't recognise my details - because I really don't have a login!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Get your husband to log onto his MyBT and change his username via the "My Profile" to your email address and change the password to your email password.

Once he has done that it should make the "MyBT" yours and you should be able to complete the migration process.

As the primary account holder you will be able "gift" any sub-accounts ie your husbands, and he can set up his own MyBT and BTID with his email address and password.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

What a faff, I really don't know what the muppets at BT had been smoking when they devised this crazy system. Its totally overcomplicated for something that should be straightforward and simple. Completely divorce email and account management, have a seperate set of credentials for each, simples! All these different ID's that have all sorts of devious linkages and password asociations was bound to end in tears.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

As you you know I fully agree that it is an overcomplicated  way of doing things and that the two should not be linked but faff or not it is what it is and BT don't look like they are going to change it anytime soon so the best we can d is try and make it work for those that are having problems with it.

0 Ratings
PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 7 of 12

@gg30340 wrote:

Get your husband to log onto his MyBT and change his username via the "My Profile" to your email address and change the password to your email password.

Once he has done that it should make the "MyBT" yours and you should be able to complete the migration process.

As the primary account holder you will be able "gift" any sub-accounts ie your husbands, and he can set up his own MyBT and BTID with his email address and password.

Well, that might work - up to a point. However it would leave me with a BT ID with my husband's name and other information. Also I'd have our BT account linked - something I don't want. I don't pay the bill! There would be other problems too but I won't list any more. I can imagine jumping through several more hoops to put things right but that would assume all BT systems working correctly. I have no faith that everything would go smoothly and it is utterly wrong that I should need to do all that just to log into my email account.

I realise we've only been with BT for 40 years but please could the mods could suggest something a bit easier? Please!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

The BTMail system has been set up for the BT account holder, who is normally the primary email holder to have everything revolve around that. I presume the BT account is in your name albeit your husband pays the bill

The problem is because you are the primary account holder and your husband is a sub account of that but he has set up a BTID using your email address instead of his own. This is what is preventing you from setting up your own BTID as the email address is already being used as a BTID.

What you are doing by making the changes I have suggested is, you, the primary account holder takes control of the BT account in MyBT which is the way it should be. You can change the name and address in "My Profile" to yours if they presently have your husbands details.

Your husbands email account would not be linked to your MyBT unless you linked it instead of "gifting" it to him.

Because you would be the primary account holder you would "gift " your husband his sub account email address and he would set up his own MyBT and BTID which would be separate from and not able to be accessed from your MyBT or with your BTID.

As regards the paying of the bill, if you do it by direct debit/standing order you would simply set it up to come out of his account. It does not need to be the account holder who pays the bill. 

It may be that there is a different way of doing this so I have asked the mderators to have a look and see if they can help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
PinkSquirrel
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

@gg30340 wrote:

The BTMail system has been set up for the BT account holder, who is normally the primary email holder to have everything revolve around that. I presume the BT account is in your name albeit your husband pays the bill

The problem is because you are the primary account holder and your husband is a sub account of that but he has set up a BTID using your email address instead of his own. This is what is preventing you from setting up your own BTID as the email address is already being used as a BTID.

What you are doing by making the changes I have suggested is, you, the primary account holder takes control of the BT account in MyBT which is the way it should be. You can change the name and address in "My Profile" to yours if they presently have your husbands details.

Your husbands email account would not be linked to your MyBT unless you linked it instead of "gifting" it to him.

Because you would be the primary account holder you would "gift " your husband his sub account email address and he would set up his own MyBT and BTID which would be separate from and not able to be accessed from your MyBT or with your BTID.

As regards the paying of the bill, if you do it by direct debit/standing order you would simply set it up to come out of his account. It does not need to be the account holder who pays the bill. 

It may be that there is a different way of doing this so I have asked the mderators to have a look and see if they can help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

Thanks for asking the mods if they can help. One thing I can assure you is that my husband has never set up a BT ID using my email address. His BT ID was only set up for the phone bill and I paid for and managed the broadband and email. At some upgrade or other BT insisted that broadband was paid for via the phone account. At that point they 'merged' our information and that's how all this started.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

"One thing I can assure you is that my husband has never set up a BT ID using my email address"

My mistake, I mis-read the posts. Disregard that paragraph. I'm sure the moderators will be able to un-pick it all and sort this out for you.

0 Ratings