cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rooty
Aspiring Contributor
Message 11 of 26

Re: Still no 2FA on BT Email accounts in 2017

The reason why I don't use BT Cloud, or BT email, is the lack of two-factor verification. 

I check every so often to see if BT is taking security seriously, and am very pleased to hear 2FV is coming at some point this year. But I have to add: it's not before time!!!

0 Ratings
Mac_Taylor
Contributor
Message 12 of 26

"We're hoping to launch this in the second half of 2018"
@SeanD

It's came and gone and still nothing from BT. My contract with you is up soon and I'm looking to use cloud storage a lot more, but if BT aren't too bothered about data/account security then I won't be renewing!

Can you please update?

Thank you
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 13 of 26

@Mac_Taylor wrote:
"We're hoping to launch this in the second half of 2018"
@SeanD

It's came and gone and still nothing from BT. My contract with you is up soon and I'm looking to use cloud storage a lot more, but if BT aren't too bothered about data/account security then I won't be renewing!

Can you please update?

Thank you

Hi @Mac_Taylor,

Thanks for the message.  Where does the time go Smiley Surprised

I have not heard anymore about when BT will be offering two factor authentication but I have, this morning, reached out to our security team to get an update.  As soon as I have more info I will reply to you here.

I am very sorry that this is not yet available.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
RKR
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 26

Thank you very much for raising this @Mac_Taylor - I came to this page today with the sole intent of doing exactly the same thing, as I share the same concerns as you do. I await @SeanD's reply with great interest - I would like a real timescale, rather than an optimistic "soon"... I would value an honest response from BT of "Unfortunately it will take (big number) months, but it will definitely happen by then" far more than a "We're hoping to launch this within the next (small number) months" which then doesn't happen, just like "in the second half of 2018" didn't happen... I hope that @SeanD can find out the information that we are all desperate to know, given the ever-increasing threats to online security, and the way that an e-mail address is the key to changing the password on so many other accounts - due to this factor alone BT need to make this issue their top priority, or people will definitely start leaving for somewhere where their security is actually actively valued!

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 15 of 26

Hi @Mac_Taylor & @RKR,

Thanks for your continued patience while I have been speaking with our security team.  Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Our priority is to deliver a safe and reliable service, unfortunately we've encountered some technical issues whilst delivering Two Factor Authentication which are important to solve and this is delaying when this will be ready for use.

The security of our customers is incredibly important to us.  We've got one of the largest security teams in Europe, with around 5000 analysts working to keep customers safe.  Whilst we wait for Two Step Authentication to be delivered, we're leveraging these security teams to protect your data. We spend a lot of time looking for customer credentials online, including on the dark web.  Additionally, we are constantly monitoring customer accounts and our network to identify and prevent suspicious activity.  

When we have further information to share we will post it here.

Cheers

Sean

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 26

@SeanDwrote:

Hi @Mac_Taylor & @RKR,

Thanks for your continued patience while I have been speaking with our security team.  Apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

Our priority is to deliver a safe and reliable service, unfortunately we've encountered some technical issues whilst delivering Two Factor Authentication which are important to solve and this is delaying when this will be ready for use.

The security of our customers is incredibly important to us.  We've got one of the largest security teams in Europe, with around 5000 analysts working to keep customers safe.  Whilst we wait for Two Step Authentication to be delivered, we're leveraging these security teams to protect your data. We spend a lot of time looking for customer credentials online, including on the dark web.  Additionally, we are constantly monitoring customer accounts and our network to identify and prevent suspicious activity.  

When we have further information to share we will post it here.

Cheers

Sean

Is one of the issues the fact that "we" have two suppliers?

Since the Yahoo section is a cut down version of the full partner package, are they going to offer 2fa?

0 Ratings
rsndll
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 26

Is there any news yet on this?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 26

No

Mark__H
Message 19 of 26

I came here looking for instructions on how to set up 2FA for my BT Email account as I think it's essential now. I'm amazed to find that it's not available! I've been using my BT email address for about a quarter of a century so I don't really want to switch to another, although I do have a gmail account too.

Could we have a monthly update please.

rsndll
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 26

It's shameful of BT to have such an outdated and lax attitude towards it's paying customer's security.