cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Philocalist
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Stopping broadband service / email accounts closing

If I discontinue broadband service with BT, I'm assuming that the associated email accounts will also die off, no? IF this is the case, at what point does this happen, if at all (reason I ask is that I've still got live Virgin email accounts SIX years after leaving them!

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Stopping broadband service / email accounts closing

In theory after 90 days, unless you pay £7.50/m to keep the addresses.

0 Ratings
Philocalist
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

I seem to recall that Virgin said something similar 6 years ago and the addresses are still alive to date - I suspect that with many email services (including, I think BT) being handled via Google Mail, they are likely to perpetuate regardless, unless a user actually terminates them   ...   just wish I could get a categoric answer 🙂

0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 4 of 12

Pretty sure it's 60 days after your broadband ends, not 90 days, the mailbox and contents are deleted.

Premium mail is £5 per month, rising to £7.50 from September 16th 2018 and gives you up to 10 email addresses, to order you go to www.bt.com/premiummail once your broadband ceases through a disconnection order or switch to another provider.

0 Ratings
Philocalist
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

A slight deviation from the original post, but related ... I wonder what happens to access to the free cloud storage I have with my BT account ... Will I keep access if I pay to continue with the email accounts, I wonder?
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

@Philocalist wrote:
A slight deviation from the original post, but related ... I wonder what happens to access to the free cloud storage I have with my BT account ... Will I keep access if I pay to continue with the email accounts, I wonder?

No. You are paying for an email account, not the BTCloud account. 

If you cancel your BT Broadband service you will have 30 days from the broadband cease date to retrieve your data from the BT Cloud. After 30 days, the data is permanently deleted from the BT servers.

0 Ratings
Philocalist
Beginner
Message 7 of 12

That is NOT the advice offered by BT, who stated via online chat that access WOULD be retained to cloud . There again, I ws also told by them during the same chat, that the monthly payment to keep access to email is PER email address ... and my BT account currently gives me up to ELEVEN of them......
0 Ratings
-Richie-
Guru
Message 8 of 12

Cloud data is deleted 30 days after the broadband is ceased, there is no way to retain that once you leave.

BT premium mail covers all the email addresses you get free with broadband, you're not charged per email address.

0 Ratings
Philocalist
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

So the $64 question must surely be: do I believe what I am told by BT advisors or l8sten to advice offered in a forum? 😁
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

That's a no-brainer!!

0 Ratings