Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ant123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Strange emails with goo.gl links

Go to solution

Over the past 3 weeks 3 friends have reported to me that they have received emails that superficially appear to have come from me. Indeed I received one myself today (seeming to be from me to me). The email address has my name (once with a couple of extra letters) but at different domain names and either just a subject line with a link to (for example)

"https: //goo.gl/ Example"

or no message other than the link. I have tried a couple on my iPhone and one linked to a Bitcoin advert site and the other was an unknown address. Does anyone know whether this is my problem or my friends' problem? I suspect the former and the stock BT answer is to change my Btinternet password but would that do the trick?

Thanks in anticipation.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Strange emails with goo.gl links

Go to solution

Nothing you or anybody else can do. A spammer is spoofing your email address, just delete them.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

It sound like that at some point your email account was hacked, possibly when the Yahoo email system was hacked a few years ago, and your contacts email addresses were harvested by the hackers.

Now that the hackers have your contacts email addresses they can send spam emails to them when ever they want. In order to fool the recipients into thinking it is a genuine email from you, the spammers "spoof" your email address to cover the the actual sending address.

See link about "spoofing".

https://lifehacker.com/how-spammers-spoof-your-email-address-and-how-to-prote-1579478914

ant123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Thank you very much.
0 Ratings
ant123
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution
Thank you very much. Interesting article and links.
0 Ratings