cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikeK49
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Suddenly unable to send emails.

I visit the US regularly for about three months a year and have done so for the past twelve years. My wife and I have been back in the US for the last seven days and have been sending emails without problem. Yesterday my wife was sending emails back home to my daughter when she started getting the error messages saying cannot send using BT server "too many messages" My wife was using Mail on her ipad. I went onto my Macbook Air and tried to send emails using Mail and received a similar message. My wife tried to send mails using her iphone, was unable to do so, and got a message to the effect that her email account details were incorrect. I then tried to send emails using my android phone, couldn't do so and got the message login details were incorrect. My wife and I both have separate BT email addresses on the same BT account and both of us, her via the ipad and me via the macbook, are able to send emails via webmail. We are both able to receive emails on all devices. I have contacted BT several times to no avail. One guy took control of my screen and checked all the settings but still I could not send mail. I have been told various things by BT over the past two days as follows:

Not BT's problem as server is working

Not trained in supporting third party devices

It is a security problem due to being in the US

I need to check with my device manufacturer

It will all work fine again when I am back in the UK.

I have contacted the US company that provides my cable tv, phone and broadband and they say there is no issue their end as I am able to access the internet without a problem and that the problem lies with BT.

I have no IT expertise at all but for four different devices to suddenly not be able to send emails using their own email apps/programmes at the same time must surely give a clue to somebody with expertise as to what the problem is and how to solve it.

I am totally stuck and would appreciate any advice.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Suddenly unable to send emails.

The correct settings for BT email are here:-

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44917

Are you on the BTMail system or the BTYahoo mail system. If you are not sure use this link to find out.

http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

If you are on BTYahoo you could try changing your email settings on your device to use Yahoo settings:-

If you have the account set up as an IMAP account use the following settings 

Incoming Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com

Outgoing Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Incoming Port - 993 (requires SSL)

Outgoing Port - 465 (requires SSL/TLS)

Username: full email address

Password: the password you login to BTYahoo with.

If you have it set up as a POP3 account use the following settings

Incoming Mail (POP) Server - pop.mail.yahoo.com

Port - 995

Requires SSL - Yes

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com

Port - 465 or 587

Requires SSL - Yes

Requires TLS - Yes (if available)

Requires authentication - Yes

0 Ratings
MikeK49
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Thanks for this. I have checked and I am on the BTMail system and the account is IMAP. Being a complete novice do I now go into mail and change to the settings below or are these for the Yahoo Mail system.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Unfortunately, those settings will only work if you are still on BTYahoo.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

As licquorice has replied these settings only work on BTYahoo.

Are you able to use the email system when connected by 3g on your phones?

If you are it could be that the ISP whose system you are using doesn't like the ports that you are using and you could try changing the out going port to 25 and the incoming to 110. It's a long shot but it might work.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Its also just as likely the problem will fix itself and go away. The mail system seems very flaky at the moment.

0 Ratings
MikeK49
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for the help and advice. Neither my old Android phone or my wife's iphone will send mail through BT but will receive mail. I am going to hope the problem resolves itself by the time I get back to the UK in six weeks. In the meantime my wife and I have opened gmail accounts that work perfectly on all our devices. If things are not straightened out by the time we reach home (and I suspect it won't be) then we will be ditching BT after twelve years because we have found it too unreliable over the past couple of years and the support (this forum excepted) now near to worthless.  

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

You could always use the Gmail SMTP server to send your BTinternet mails.

0 Ratings
MikeK49
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

How would I go about using the gmail server for BT email?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

I don't know the exact details for Apple devices, but with MS Outlook you can configure the SMTP server independantly of the POP/IMAP server. You need to authenticate with your Gmail address and password but leave the 'From' details as your BTinternet address. The incoming details still use the BT server.

0 Ratings