Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 15

Re: Suspended or Deleted email addresses

I received the following email from BT regarding the updated T&Cs on 06.06.20 so given that the T&Cs page states it was last updated on 29.10.19 they have taken their time to notify users. 

We’re dropping you a line to let you know about the changes we’ve made to our email terms of service. These changes cover a range of improvements we’ve made to the service, and will apply with immediate effect.
Here’s the most important things you need to know:
We’ve updated our usage policy, so that you’ll now have 150 days before we delete an unused email address - and you’ll be able to reactivate a deleted email address too
Non-BT account holders will have their own BT ID, giving them more flexibility with their email account and greater ownership of it
We’ve made improvements to the way in which we manage emails you tell us are spam
Please take some time to read the updated terms of service, which you can find at www.bt.com/newemailterms.

At the risk of being  "hopelessly ill informed"  The T&Cs would appear to have been updated where as the page linked to has not been updated.

0 Ratings
gregprog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 15

You are absolutely right, BT hasn't updated their "help" page so it still links to the terms from 2018 and not to the 2019 version that is linked from the email they sent you. It is puzzling, though, that the differences between those two versions of the terms are cosmetic. The nearest I can find to a substantive change is that what used to be "free BT email" is now "standard email". In particular all the stuff about accounts that are not used for 90 days is just the same.

I wonder what that email was really for - perhaps BT is just trying to confuse us.  I wonder whether they'll send me one.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 15

There is a substantive change in as much as there are now three email products available the main one being the Basic email product.

See link about what each product offers and how you get them.

https://www.bt.com/help/email/bt-email-products

0 Ratings
gregprog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 15

Yes that's true and I hope will be helpful and interesting to someone who happens upon your post.

However, I was writing about the differences between the February 2018 and October 2019 versions of BT's email terms and conditions because those were the versions linked by the BT help page we looked at and by the email they recently sent you. There are indeed three products, but that is not a change. The older version says: "email – comes in 3 tiers, basicstandard and premium" and goes on to define each of the three. The later, 2019, version says exactly the same and continues with the same definitions. What changed is that some of the words in bold font in 2018 are in regular font in 2019. That's what I called cosmetic, not substantive. Have you compared the 2019 version with something even older? 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 15

Yes.

The present T&Cs are what apply, as are the new three types of email service. The Basic email service was not available in 2018 having only become available since the "new"  BTMail system,  not the present BTMail system, was started in Dec 2019 therefore it is a substantial change.

I am now no longer going to post on this because I really don't see the point.

0 Ratings