cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Suspicious email reporting blocked

How come that I receive what are clearly suspicious phishing emails to my btinternet inbox, but when I try to forward them to phishing@bt.com and report@phishing.gov.uk the email is blocked as it is suspicious?

If BT can detect that it's a suspicious email when sending why can't it detect it as suspicious when receiving?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Suspicious email reporting blocked

Reading my post above, it looks like I'm just having a moan but I am also genuinely interested to find out how these filters work.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

@grahamm1 wrote:

but I am also genuinely interested to find out how these filters work.

As are the spammers!!!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

I'm serious, licquorice

How is it that I can receive spam/phishing emails via BT mail but I cannot forward those same mails as they are flagged as being spam?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

So am I, do you seriously think anyone is going to reveal how they deal (or don't) with spam!!

Message 6 of 10

I'm not asking anyone to reveal anything specific about how they deal with spam.

Let me re-phrase my query.

How can I report an email as suspicious when BT's spam filter blocks my forwarding of the email because it recognises it as spam (even though it did not recognise it as spam when it initially delivered it to me)?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

My question is the previous one to this thread. I have been forwarding what I think are spam emails successfully to  the .gov.uk address, no problem. Some of them could be genuine advertisements, but I have never signed up to receive them, so I don't rust them. Others are definitely spam, as they use Martin Lewis's name and are about bitcoins. I have blocked the domain, but I got an email from the blocked domain. Perhaps it takes some time to be effective, like genuine sites when you unsubscribe they say it might take a few days for it to become effective. I haven't tried the bt spam/phishing address. It seems very odd to me (as it obviously does to you) that a site set up specifically to receive spam should reject you emails. Perhaps you can send an email to .gov.uk to explain your problem and ask for a solution. You could give them the email addresses you are getting spam from.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

How are you trying to forward the spam email?

If you are sending it as an "inline" message, ie contained within the text box of your email you should try sending it as an attachment.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Thanks. I found sending the suspicious email as an attachment (instead of inline) worked.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I have been simply forwarding the spam emails without opening them. I put a tick in the small box to the left of the email in the list of emails in my Inbox, then click 'Forward' and put the phishing.gov.uk address in the address box and 'Send'.

0 Ratings