thank you will consider
0 Ratings
New_To_UK
Aspiring Expert
Message 12 of 20

Re: Sync problem - any ideas?

Go to solution

@Anonymouswrote:

I didn't publish those settings lightly, they have been tested on an earlier version of the Windows 10 email client (going back to when I first had the problem), two different manufactures of laptop and four different manufactures of Android phone running Outlook.

Indeed they are the settings I have used for too long to remember, they continue to function to this day and have very recently been accepted as a solution to their problems by other BT customers on this forum. I therefore stand by them.

I'm not saying the settings you mentioned don't work, they are not the recommended published settings which also actually work just fine. It working as an alternate to the published settings is a red herring as those addresses will translate to the same place in network land. 

Have you tested with the recommended settings? 

0 Ratings
david230757
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution
er..... they don't work just fine, as least not for me which is why I started this thread.
I've not had the problem since I switched to the alternative and I'm grateful for the suggestion
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

@New_To_UKwrote:

Have you tested with the recommended settings? 

I have and they didn't work, that's what motivated me to tweak them.

As mentioned in message 10, that was several years ago and I haven't had the need to change them since,

I get your point about them probably resolving to the same end point but the fact that they were recently accepted as a solution to a problem another forum member was having with the published settings can't be ignored

0 Ratings
david230757
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

Sorry to say that the problem just reoccurred with the imap.btinternet.com setting. Multiple emails visible on the server weren't downloaded even though the sync looked normal. No errors in the logs and my inbox in the list of folders that had (allegedly) been sync'ed.

So I changed back to the recommended mail.btinternet.com setting and the missing emails all appeared straight away but based on previous experience I can't rely on that happening consistently.

Clearly something about changing the setting triggered the sync to work correctly. Previously when I wasn't receiving any emails (using mail.btinternet.com) I found that exiting the client and reopening it would work.

I still suspect it's a BT issue because I had the same problem with Thunderbird and my business email works fine. But I'll try posting on an eMclient forum to see what that throws up

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Was it the old problem of being asked for your password time and again only for it to be rejected even though it's correct?

0 Ratings
david230757
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution
I'm not having to reenter the password at all.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

@david230757wrote:
I'm not having to reenter the password at all.

No, you shouldn't have to. I was just trying to establish if it was a different problem

0 Ratings
david230757
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution
Just changed IMAP to “force SSL/TLS” from “use SSL/TLS on special port (legacy)”, maybe that will make a difference. It looks pretty slick on some test emails
0 Ratings
Retrovertigo
Aspiring Expert
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

This happens to me once every few months. I try every setting to try and fix it and nothing ever works (in fact I have the same issue again at the moment)

I've looked everywhere for an answer but never found anything that works. It just seems to start working again after a few days - sometimes up to a week or more. BT must be messing around with things at times that throws a wobbly with synching. God knows what though.

0 Ratings