cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoff12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Tablet - lack of memory

Samsung tablet - when trying to access BT email on the tablet I sometimes get the message 'not enough memory'. Samsung has told me that this does not refer to the capacity of the tablet, but that the email provider should be able to advise. Is this directly related to the number of emails in the inbox? Is it possible to limit the inbox in the tablet to the last few days / weeks?

Thanks for any advice

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Tablet - lack of memory

Check to see if your storage folder is full. It is usually because there are to many photos or videos stored on the tablet. Try deleting some of them or moving them from your phone to your computer or add a micro SD card to the tablet and move them to it.

0 Ratings
Geoff12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your comment.

I have checked and cleared the storage folder as suggested, but there was very little in it - no photos or videos. I don't use the tablet all that much, mainly to keep an eye on newly arrived emails. I  mainly manage emails on the desktop, and there are 1,000 + emails in the inbox. Is the tablet having to process these each time?

Thanks for any further advice.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you have your email set up on your tablet as a POP3 account they will be stored on your tablet and will be taking up storage space (memory). If it is set up as an IMAP account they won't be stored on the tablet but they email app will be using RAM memory to process and make them available to view.

If you don't need the emails you should delete them and then empty the trash box to clear them from your tablet.

0 Ratings
Geoff12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for your further advice.

Set-up is IMAP. 

I have deleted some e-mails from the tablet - while I don't need them on the tablet I might need them on the desktop. So far as I can see deletions on the tablet then show as deletions on the desk-top - is that right?

I have emptied the trash-box. 

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

An IMAP account synchronises with the email account on the BT servers so when you log onto webmail on your desktop computer if you delete an email from one devices it will show as deleted on any other devices that you have an email client/app set up as an IMAP account or when you access your account via a web browser. It will also show any sent emails on all the devices and any folders you may have set up in your email account.

If you want to synchronise between devices you would need to psychically copy the emails you want to keep and store them in a saved folder before deleting them. I believe some email clients can be set up to do that for you. 

If you are not needing the devices to synchronise you could set up an email client on your desktop computer as a POP3 email account. This would download the emails onto your computer and store them for you. As long as you had the "save a copy on the server" ticked it would leave a copy of the downloaded emails on the server so that your other devices could still access them and if required, delete them.

Because a POP3 account is not synchronised, if you delete emails from the POP3 account it will not be deleted from the other devices and if you send an email from a POP3 account it will not show on the other devices nor will any folders you set up on the POP3 account show on the other devices and similarly no folder set up on the other devices would show on the POP3 account.  

The other option you could use is to just access your email account via a web browser on all your devices and that way what you do on one device will be the same on the other devices because you are accessing the BT servers directly and not having to download or synchronise anything.

Hope that make sense to you.

Geoff12
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

That is very clear and helpful thank you - I now know what to do.

0 Ratings
DavidM
Message 8 of 8

Great advice there @gg30340. Kudos to you bud.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings