cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 21 of 44

Re: Talk21.com

Go to solution

Hi @Jolyon I've had word back from the email team, I'm really sorry the information provided by the helpdesk is incorrect, anyone who has a @talk21.com email address can continue using it and we're not closing this domain.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 22 of 44

Go to solution

Thanks - that's great news. However why does it not work via MS Outlook on mobile devices? I spoke with MS directly and they said they could see an issue with the BT authentication servers.

It would be good if someone could get this sorted please!

Jolyon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 23 of 44

Go to solution

@Jolyonwrote:

Hi,

Thanks - I knew that from a while back but it appears that we are being forced over to .t21@btinternet.com - is this the policy with BT closing the @talk21.com domain?

The issue is that people will get emails from me as first.last.t21@btinternet.com from my mobile and from first.last@talk21.com from every other device - including BT webmail. This seems very odd indeed!

Jolyon

Hi.

There must have been a settings issue in the mobile app - was it set up as a Yahoo account by any chance using yahoo servers?

I see you've now got a different client (I use BlueMail for Android) which seems fine.

With regard talk21.com being closed, you were told absolute cobblers. Another falsehood by the helpdesk who seem to make up information. They really are not very good.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 24 of 44

Go to solution

Thanks for this - very helpful.

In Outlook on mobile unlike other clients there is no option to choose which servers to add - you just add the email address (@talk21.com) and it finds the right servers. I have used the advanced info (server names etc.) but this does not work either! Any suggestions?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 25 of 44

Go to solution

@Jolyonwrote:

Thanks for this - very helpful.

In Outlook on mobile unlike other clients there is no option to choose which servers to add - you just add the email address (@talk21.com) and it finds the right servers. I have used the advanced info (server names etc.) but this does not work either! Any suggestions?

With the app, can you specify an account type? If so, choose "Other" if available. If it doesn't have that facility, don't use it!

What server names did it show in the advanced info?

Are you with BTPremium Email by any chance?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 26 of 44

Go to solution

MS Outlook doesn't give such an option.

servers mail.btinternet.com:993 & mail.btinternet.com:465. Using IMAP

Yes I'm using the premium mail service

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 27 of 44

Go to solution

@Jolyonwrote:

MS Outlook doesn't give such an option.

servers mail.btinternet.com:993 & mail.btinternet.com:465. Using IMAP

Yes I'm using the premium mail service

Thanks.

Anyway, clearly it appears to be an app issue if it doesn't accept talk21.com, or more likely server access from the app.

Looks like another case of a MS product (this time Outlook app rather than Outlook client for PC) behaving strangely.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 28 of 44

Go to solution

Just following through the process, the Outlook app obviously links to BT and recognises Talk21 as a BT service - otherwise the server IDs would not be returned - so the App does not need to be told this is a Yahoo account. However the BT servers don't then authenticate the account details - but why would this happen just for Outlook on mobile? Does BT have separate authentication servers for every app (I doubt this!) - surely they would just have one set of servers for all remote authentication - ?

Any suggestions gratefully received!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 29 of 44

Go to solution

UPDATE. I checked all the settings for my Talk21 mail on Outlook on my laptop and they are different to the settings returned by BT when trying to add my Talk21 account to my phone. If I changed the incoming server to imap.mail.yahoo.com:993 and outbound to smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465 on my phone - IT ALL WORKED!!!

So problem solved - Talk21 mail is back on my phone with no aliases - so BT email support on the phone were telling me a load of rubbish!

LONG LIVE TALK21!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 30 of 44

Go to solution

@Jolyonwrote:

UPDATE. I checked all the settings for my Talk21 mail on Outlook on my laptop and they are different to the settings returned by BT when trying to add my Talk21 account to my phone. If I changed the incoming server to imap.mail.yahoo.com:993 and outbound to smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465 on my phone - IT ALL WORKED!!!

So problem solved - Talk21 mail is back on my phone with no aliases - so BT email support on the phone were telling me a load of rubbish!

LONG LIVE TALK21!

Those server settings must only be treated as a temporary measure as they are not the correct ones. There is a likelihood of the account not being recognised by BT as it's not using their servers, and be deleted.

Why it fails with the correct servers is a mystery. The Yahoo servers had been recommended many years ago if the btinternet ones failed. However recently (last few years) it has to be treated as temporary.

If you are to use the yahoo ones, please at least login via webmail monthly or so - and keep trying the correct one.

0 Ratings