Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jolyon
Beginner
Message 31 of 44

Re: Talk21.com

Go to solution

Andy,

Thanks for this warning. However the reason I found this was that I had to delete and re-install my Talk21 account on my laptop Outlook (with the help of MS Support) this morning. The Yahoo server addresses are the ones automatically returned by BT when you add the email address . I have also checked the other mail clients I was using on my phone and they worked only because they had automatically selected the yahoo servers - none of them use the BT internet server addresses. So I am guessing there is a DNS server somewhere in BT which tells clients that for talk21 use the yahoo servers - which is inconsistent with your message.

Is it possible to get this resolved - i.e. to get a clear policy from BT and then a fully working solution followed by clear communication to all talk21 users?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 44

Go to solution

I don't know how the server addresses are populated, but I can't see how it has come from BT - but from the client producer.

The problem is, some user talk21 accounts may not be on BTYahoo - and if using the auto configuration the Yahoo servers are populated, access to the account will fail.

So it's always best to manually set up the account in whatever app/client is used.

I don't believe BT have a proper policy with regard email, and haven't for over 5 years.

To me the best thing is move away from BTinternet (& Talk21)  altogether and use something else. Granted people have had the accounts for many years, even a couple of decades.

0 Ratings
Jolyon
Beginner
Message 33 of 44

Go to solution

Hi,

I had this problem before (but my posts seem to have gone from this thread) and I had it again overnight - very suspicious.

try:

imap.mail.yahoo.com:993

smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465

for your server settings - ****@talk21.com email and normal password.

I know BT will tell you that this does not work and you should change your who identity to ***.t21@btinternet.com but this does work and has worked again for me this morning.

Most other email clients default to the yahoo address so it may be worth changing your client if the problem persists.

Jo

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 34 of 44

Go to solution

The Yahoo servers may not always work (they certainly don't with BTMail accounts), however this should be treated as a temporary measure only. BT may not recognise the account has been accessed if using these servers and delete the email address for non use after 90 days.

As I said, accounts on BT Mail trying to use the yahoo servers will fail. Hence that leads me to say that most mail clients actually do not default to use the Yahoo servers - if the account is added as "other" or done manually, then the correct servers (mail.btinternet.com) are usually picked up. They may have been added as yahoo servers in the past, but that would have been years ago.

0 Ratings
Jolyon
Beginner
Message 35 of 44

Go to solution

Andy,

Thanks for the update. Would it not be proper for BT to actually fix the problem and allow @talk21.com addresses to work normally on the BT servers?

The stated work-a-round to change your email address to ***.***.T21@btinternet.com is exactly the same as changing your email address completely so is not a proper work-a-round.

Could we all please have a definitive answer from BT on this - last time we asked we received an assurance that the @talk21.com addresses are not at risk and yet there appears to be no action to fix what has been a long standing problem.

Jolyon

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 44

Go to solution

See link about Yahoo servers no longer being used.

https://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/64738

As regards using  ***.***.T21@btinternet.com  as your email address, I believe this is only when setting up your email account in an email client so that it is recognised by the BT servers. You should still be able to use your "normal" email address when sending and receiving emails.

I suspect the  ***.***.T21@btinternet.com  would be interchangeable with your present email address just as a btinternet.com and btopenworld.com are interchangeable. 

0 Ratings
Jolyon
Beginner
Message 37 of 44

Go to solution

Thanks for this.

It would be great to get some advice on this as I am sure that the email is sent (and received by the recipient) as from ***.***.t21@btinternet.com and not from @talk21.com - so some confusion. I know that anything sent to @talk21.com would be received but outgoing messages will be 'wrong'.

If you know how to correct this so that everything is clearly 'badged' @talk21.com I'd be a happy bunny and I guess BT would be as well.

0 Ratings
Jolyon
Beginner
Message 38 of 44

Re: Issue with Talk21 email from apple iphone using outlook or mail apps

Go to solution

Hi,

My previous posts have disappeared from this thread - ????

Try imap.mail.yahoo.com:993 for incoming and smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465 for outgoing - this works for me.

Most clients default to this but some (e.g. Outlook on mobile) default to the BT servers which do not work for me.

I'll ask BT again - why can't you sort this so that @talk21.com works through the BT mail servers?

Jolyon

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 39 of 44

Go to solution

@Jolyon wrote:

Hi,

Jolyon

Wrong thread, you started at this post.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Talk21-com/m-p/1978357#M73860

You can always view your posts by going to https://community.bt.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/257141

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 44

Re: Issue with Talk21 email from apple iphone using outlook or mail apps

Go to solution

@Jolyonwrote:

Hi,

Your post was on a different thread - (here as your post has been moved)

As has been said, the Yahoo server details should NOT be used (or only as very short temporary measure) - and may not actually work.

See other responses earlier in this thread about using yahoo servers.

0 Ratings