Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnnyT42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Temporarily locked out frustration

Go to solution

I have read with interest several posts where the following message has been received: 'As you've had too many unsuccessful attempts to login, you've been temporarily locked out. Please try again after 15 minutes.'

One suggested solution is not to use webmail but an email client! Well I have been receiving this message now for several weeks, tried closing browser, using a different browser all to no avail. Usually this only occurs for the first login of the day and then later on mysteriously sorts itself out.

I do use an email client as well which does access my mail even when webmail says I am locked out!

So my point is why? Is someone trying brute force to crack my password? Is it a bug in BT's software? Whatever the reason is it should be sorted and not by having to use an email client! Webmail should work.

It also occurs to me that if Webmail locks me out yet my email client can still access my mail with the same login details as Webmail what sort of secure system is this?

Contacted BT via the online chat facility, after 5 mins of chat it simply closed itself with no trace and no answers. Then I took a deep breath and phoned, after some meditation to prepare myself. A very helpful lady, based in India I think, said this was a common problem and will mark my email address for BT special privacy facility. This meant changing my email login password and then I will not have this problem any more. So changed my details while talking to the helpful lady. All sounded good so then spent some time changing my email passwords on several devices etc. The very next morning same problem cant login to webmail with the new password  locked out for 15 minutes. Could login via an email client with the new password. What is going on? Why did my special new privacy setting not work? Its 7 days since my phone call and I still have this issue, Yes I can access via an email client but that is not the point webmail should work!

Any ideas welcome please and what is the best way to complain to BT without all the India stuff and nonsense? My service is with BT Yahoo so not sure if that makes any difference? And I use windows 10 with Firefox, IE 11 and Chrome.

Regards, John.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
AriffK_88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Temporarily locked out frustration

Go to solution

Hi John,

There is an issue, for some reason with BT Yahoo Mail customers logging into BT.com/mail.

As an alternative, which appears to work fine at all times is www.mail.yahoo.com - Just log in with your username and password.

From what I'm aware is that some customers are moving from BT Yahoo Mail to BT Mail at the moment and it's caused some authentication issues via BT.com - whether this is true or not, I do not know but it seems to make some sort of sense.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ariff.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@AriffK_88 wrote:

From what I'm aware is that some customers are moving from BT Yahoo Mail to BT Mail at the moment and it's caused some authentication issues via BT.com - whether this is true or not, I do not know but it seems to make some sort of sense.

There is no migration from BTYahoo to BTMail ongoing at present. The migration has been indefinitely suspended.

0 Ratings
AriffK_88
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Thanks for clearing that up. Heard some rumours going about that it was starting again but that's obviously incorrect.
0 Ratings
JohnnyT42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Arrif,

Thanks for the response, I will try the Yahoo login and see if that improves the situation. Still does not solve the BT login situation though.

Cheers,

John.

0 Ratings
JohnnyT42
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

After logging in via BTYahoo I can confirm that this seems to have sorted the problem. It does raise two issues though. Why was I told by the helpful lady in India that my email address would be marked for 'privacy' and all ip logins would be recorded and therfore i would not get the problem anymore? Also BT obviously have a login issue that we have not been informed about? This makes me slightly nervous about how secure BT systems are?

John.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

The BT 'Helpdesk' tell you anything you want to hear just to get rid of the call, they just make things up.

0 Ratings