Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
West
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Threat to cut off my Mail

I have had several mails from BT advising me to change my password.

Given the advice recieved this is not something I need to do nor particulalry want to do on all my devices.

Now I am getting e mails saying they note I have not changed password and they will cut off my e-mail in 7 days if I don't

Would I be right in thinking this is a scam as surely they would not stop what is now an essential communications tool

Thanks in anticipation a reply

John

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
wrecker
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Threat to cut off my Mail

I have had the same email.

My feeling is that the security of my email account is down to me and the last thing i wish to do is respond to what could be a phishing email

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

It is almost certainly a scam email. If you hover your mouse over the senders address or look at the email headers you should be able to see where the email came from.

In any event, don't click on any links in the email. If you feel the need to change your password, do it by going onto the BT site directly and not through any other method.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Didn't we go round this loop a few months back. I seem to recall that I was absolutely adamant it was a scam but it turned out it was genuine much to my chagrin.

Found the thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Password-Change/m-p/1669199/highlight/true#M46935 see page 6 for confirmation from PaddyB

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

@licquorice wrote:

Didn't we go round this loop a few months back. I seem to recall that I was absolutely adamant it was a scam but it turned out it was genuine much to my chagrin.

Found the thread https://community.bt.com/t5/Email/Password-Change/m-p/1669199/highlight/true#M46935 see page 6 for confirmation from PaddyB

Thanks for refreshing my memory about that. I would emphasize what I said in message 57 of that previous thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

BT can - and do - disconnect people's email services.  It's even in the Terms and Conditions.  But they should only do that if you leave BT, or abandon the account and don't use it.

If you haven't already done so, it's probably a good idea to change the password.  Just don't click on any suspect links in dubious emails to do it.

But given how much time has passed since Yahoo was hacked, it's like locking the stable door after the horse has not just bolted, but lived happily ever after and then died of old age.

0 Ratings
Jivesinger
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I've had this email too.

The email has a 'view it onlinie' link which goes to

http://ecomm.bt.com/optiext/optiextension.dll?ID=6yz6Cox8{long string of more numbers and letters}

which contains the same message which rather suggests its genuine - how else could it be on a bt.com server?

More annoyingly, I *have* changed my BT password, 5 days ago, and I still get the message saying they notice I haven't changed my password and security question and will lock me out in 7 days.

The instructions say I should be asked to change my security question after I change my passwiord, but this doesn't happen - the security question screen in the instructions just doesn't appear.  Tried it twice in different browsers and no luck.

As I've changed my password already, the security question presumably must be what they're going on about... but the website won't offer me the chance to change it. 

Catch-22.

0 Ratings
JaneJanie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I have also had this message and am furious with BT. I didn't even have the blessed email account in August 2013. People seem to be experiencing so many problems changing these things I am loathe to change mine when it is completely unnecessary. To issue such threats - because I deem it a threat - is entirely inappropriate IMHO not least because it is around Christmas time but also because the hack was in 2013. They've only had 3 years to advise us and if any damage has occurred it's way too late now.

I can honestly foresee a situation where BT end up blocking accounts irrespective of whether passwords have been changed or not such is the company's incompetence. It is extremely worrying what is going on as whatever happens BT simply does not seem to have a grip on it's systems which is ironic bearing in mind the nature of it's business.