cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Johnoo
Expert
Message 1 of 15

Thunderbird E Mail message:- Error Message "Login to Server mail btinternet.com failed" -- Why?

I use Thunderbird E mail which I believe picks up mails from BT.

I keep getting, at random intervals, the error message in the title of this post.

Why does this occur & how can I eliminate?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 15

Re: Thunderbird E Mail message:- Error Message "Login to Server mail btinternet.com failed&quot

As long as you are actually receiving your BT emails in Thunderbird at other times when it doeesn't error, then you have the settings for your BT email a/c correct. BT's email servers can be a bit flaky at times. Just wait & it'll catch up.

Johnoo
Expert
Message 3 of 15

Re: Thunderbird E Mail message:- Error Message "Login to Server mail btinternet.com failed&

@XRaySpeX wrote:

As long as you are actually receiving your BT emails in Thunderbird at other times when it doeesn't error, then you have the settings for your BT email a/c correct. BT's email servers can be a bit flaky at times. Just wait & it'll catch up.

OK thanks I will just wait

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Gwyndy
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Re: Thunderbird E Mail message:- Error Message "Login to Server mail btinternet.com failed&quot

A frustrating and much discussed problem.  I have been tearing my hair out recently with this issue and, after much searching, I found that the solution was to change the incoming server from mail.btinternet.com to imap.mail.yahoo.com (assuming you are using IMAP).  This has worked a treat for me.

Johnoo
Expert
Message 5 of 15

Re: Thunderbird E Mail message:- Error Message "Login to Server mail btinternet.com failed&

@Johnoo wrote:

@XRaySpeX wrote:

OK thanks I will just wait

I decided to raise a complaint using this link:-

https://www.bt.com/help/home/complaints.html

Got a reply giving me the correct settings, (they said they had tried to contact me by phone, this is incorrect)

I checked & the settings are those that I already have.

Contacted BT on the number given:- 08000321790, got message saying the box was full.

Have now sent e mail reply

Will I get a helpful answer?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

@Johnoo wrote:

No

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 7 of 15

@licquorice wrote:

@Johnoo wrote:

No

Oh dear, perhaps you could explain why?

Also why don't the Mods. pick up on problems like this to improve performance?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

The mail system is flaky, has been for years, nobody does anything about it.

The mods try very hard but the mail team appear to be a law unto themselves.

0 Ratings
Johnoo
Expert
Message 9 of 15

@licquorice wrote:

The mail system is flaky, has been for years, nobody does anything about it.

The mods try very hard but the mail team appear to be a law unto themselves.

Very sad, wish I had e mail contact with Directors!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

You have Smiley Wink

0 Ratings