Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 1 of 9

Thunderbird Setup

Go to solution

How do you set up Thunderbird to allow access to mail, without having to enter the user password each time on start up?

Account is set as imap.

PC Windows 10, Fall Update, ASUS  pc model.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Thunderbird Setup

Go to solution

Tick the 'Remember Password' box when you set up the account.

password.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

It might be the SMTP password that is wrong, Thunderbird doesn't automatically associate the SMTP server used with the IMAP server. In Tools > Account Settings > Outgoing server (SMTP) make sure you are using the right account as default and not an old one with incorrect password. The first time you use the account you may have to re-enter the password, after that it should remember it.

I have to say I find Thunderbird very clunky as a mail client and much prefer Claws mail of the free ones.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

It might be the SMTP password that is wrong, Thunderbird doesn't automatically associate the SMTP server used with the IMAP server. In Tools > Account Settings > Outgoing server (SMTP) make sure you are using the right account as default and not an old one with incorrect password. The first time you use the account you may have to re-enter the password, after that it should remember it.

I have to say I find Thunderbird very clunky as a mail client and much prefer Claws mail of the free ones.

Thanks,

It’s new pc we are setting up.

Totally agree that it’s “clunky”.

Did try to remember password, and eventually it worked, of sorts.

It’s BT Mail, of course.

It’s strange that  Windows 10 comes with Office 2007, but no Outlook, only MS mail.

Think we’ll go for subscription MS Office with MS Office Outlook, with a bit of arm twisting!

Also came with an internet security  trial preinstalled, in spite of having existing subscription for another internet security supplier.

There’s a lot of work with a new pc.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs wrote:

How do you set up Thunderbird to allow access to mail, without having to enter the user password each time on start up?

Account is set as imap.

When you're asked for the password, do you get a box with a tick saying "Use Password Manager ...."?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@Ribblelancs wrote:

@licquorice wrote:

Thanks,

It’s new pc we are setting up.

Totally agree that it’s “clunky”.

Did try to remember password, and eventually it worked, of sorts.

It’s BT Mail, of course.

It’s strange that  Windows 10 comes with Office 2007, but no Outlook, only MS mail.

Think we’ll go for subscription MS Office with MS Office Outlook, with a bit of arm twisting!

Also came with an internet security  trial preinstalled, in spite of having existing subscription for another internet security supplier.

There’s a lot of work with a new pc.

Windows 10 doesn't actually come with any Office product as that's a commercial product. The PC may have included it as part of a package deal. Not sure it would have come with Office 2007 though!

Unless you really need Office, you can happily use any of the free products like Claws and Thunderbird. There's always OpenOffice, or perhaps a better option, LibreOffice.

Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

@Andy_N wrote:

@Ribblelancs wrote:

Account is set as imap.

When you're asked for the password, do you get a box with a tick saying "Use Password Manager ...."?

Yes it does,, but the “remember password” is more prominent.

I’m never sure about password managers, and ignore them, mostly.

Are they tied up with that particular internet security program....?

Keep being prodded by my own security provider to use that feature.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

Its the Thunderbird password manager, the same as Firefox

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Distinguished Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

@licquorice wrote:

Tick the 'Remember Password' box when you set up the account.

password.jpg

This has solved the problem, although past experience shows that when clearing history in IE11, the password setting is lost.

This is even if that option  "save passwords history" in IE11 is checked. 

However, the user rarely clears history.

0 Ratings