cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Thunderbird fails to send to BT Email

Go to solution

I've used Thunderbird with BT Email for a long time without any problems but for the past 2 days it refuses to send (though receiving is OK). After a long time trying to send it comes up with the following message :-

Sending of the message failed.
Unable to authenticate to Outgoing server (SMTP) mail.btinternet.com. Please check the password and verify the 'Authentication method' in 'Account Settings | Outgoing server (SMTP)'.

I had recently changed the BT email address and gave that to Thunderbird at the first receive attempt. Nothing else has changed for several years and the Outgoing Server (SMTP) settings are :-

Description : BT Mail
Server Name : mail.btinternet.com
Port : 465
User Name : .................@btinternet.com
Authentication Method : Normal password
Connection Security : SSL/TLS

I've tried the trick of switching off the Homehub for half an hour in the hope of getting a different server but the problem is still there. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Thunderbird fails to send to BT Email

Go to solution

@Bextonian 

I've just tried with Thunderbird sending a message and no problems BUT my SMTP settings are somewhat different to yours.

See my details:-

TimCurtis_0-1652090461467.png

My username for the above is the first part of my BT email.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

@Bextonian 

just tried sending to my BT email imap and working without a problem with same settings as you

SMTP settings

Outgoing Mail Server: mail.btinternet.com

Port: 465 (this may not be automatically populated on selecting SSL, so you'll need to check)

SSL Encryption: Enabled (but not STARTTLS)

Authentication: PLAIN

Username: your email address including the @btinternet or @btopenworld.com part

Password: your btinternet or btopenworld password

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Bextonian

Are you a BT Broadband customer or paying for your email account via a BT Premium email account? 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. I am a BT Broadband customer. Just days before my problems started I was persuaded to start a new 24 month contract at slightly reduced cost. When I received the details of this I noticed that I was now on Halo 3 with a guaranteed download of 10 Mbps whereas my old contract was on Halo 1 with a guaranteed download of 17 Mbps! When I queried this I was told that Halo 1 is no longer available and my new maximum speed was the best they could guarantee in my area. Could this switch have anything to do with my Thunderbird problem?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for your reply. It's odd that your settings are not what BT currently recommend (eg. port 25) and yet you have no problems.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@Bextonian wrote:

Could this switch have anything to do with my Thunderbird problem?

No. 

Can you clarify what you mean when you said "I had recently changed the BT email address and gave that to Thunderbird at the first receive attempt". 

I would suggest that if you have not changed any settings in T'bird or changed your password that you check that you can still access and send/receive using your email account on webmail using this link. BTMail .

If you can it would indicate that there is nothing wrong with your email account in which case I would suggest that the best course if action is to do nothing. It is probably a BT server issue and when that happens it usually resolves its self in a few days.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

I'll just say that I don't actually use my BT email to send , just did a quick test this morning and it worked with the settings I showed.

Think I'll try the more secure ones as pointed out.

EDIT: Just tried with the new settings and sent OK.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@gg30340 

Can you clarify what you mean when you said "I had recently changed the BT email address and gave that to Thunderbird at the first receive attempt". 

The first thing that Thunderbird does on start-up is to check if there are any emails to download from BT. At the same time it checks the BT password and if this is incorrect it prompts you for the new BT password. If you save that password then subsequent emails are downloaded without further prompting.

EDIT :  I originally said "email address" rather than "email password". Sorry for the confusion.

0 Ratings