Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Too many failed login attempts - everyday

@2ndmouse wrote:
I'm almost entirely relying on webmail now. Can't send or receive on my phone and my desktop, with outlook 2010 is asking for password every time it checks for mail - this is now beyond ludicrous - surely BT/yahoo can sort this out between them????

I find hitting F9 a couple of times in Outlook usually works. I suspect it is just one server in the farm that is giving trouble and re-trying hits a different one.

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 20

Another symptom is my Samsung Notepad telljng me that my primary btopenworld password has been changed. That was very alarming because I feared that the Yahoo hack was back, but I soon realised it was probably a false alarm, checked by logging into BTYahoo webmail... sure enough, nothing had changed.

0 Ratings
wedd1ng528
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 20

I;ve been away for a little time (no, not there!!) and thought I'd have a browse of the forum after a couple of days getting asked to input my new password (which new password???) and then getting logged on anyway. I see that absolutely nothing has changed, still not been transferred to BTMail, still having log on problems intermittently!! Plus ça change plus c'est la meme chose!! BTW just noticed that trying to type a letter e with a circumflex (using ALT 0234) results in this reply being saved but not sent and NOT inserting the circumflex - strange the c with a cedilla using the ALT code worked fine. Hey ho.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Mistakes and embarrasing goofs in e-mails are only discovered when you've sent them!
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 20

The other message in my Samsung notebook is "password failed". But it doesn't fail because I can send and receive.

This is a symptom that I think has emerged only in the last week. Sporadically.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 15 of 20

The message says failed to connect to xxxx AT btopenworld , and if I look further a pop up says pw changed, and prompts me to enter the new password! But there is not a new pw because the current one works just as it always has.

BT, this is not good enough. This is not just the old familiar year in year out symptom of failed logins that rights itself after a day or so, or after a webmail login. As far as I can tell, this is new.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
AJW1100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 20

Cor Blimey mates, I thought it was just me! I use Outlook 2010 on Win 10-64, 1 primary and 3 sub accounts. Using OL to download my primary account emails results in continual popups of the 'Enter Username and Password box', this of course does not work so I login via the BT portal only to find that ....'due to multiple attempts to access said account I must change my password', err, 20 times in 2 days???!!! Plus odd occurences on 1 of my sub accounts. Making a new OL Profile did not help.

So if I do not use OL to download I do seem to be able to use the BT Portal as the passwords appear to be working but its a PITA having to open each one up every time. I thought perhaps that the passwords were being corrupted within OL itself.

At least now I know I am not alone and its probably not Outlook that is the root of the problem, but Good Old reliable B.T that once again has proved itself as unhelpful and as useless as ever.....

The questions only easy if you already know the answer
0 Ratings
Camera
Beginner
Message 17 of 20

I raised this with BT by "chat" on Monday.
Got a helpful advisor who agreed it was not my settings (happening on several devices) and not my account (happening on several accounts and I also pointed her to this thread). She said she would pass it to support team and asked that I give it 24 hours.

From today the issue appears to be clear for me.

We need to ensure we each raise with BT as well as posting on forum :-), but thanks to those that did post here as it helped show the advisor this was not a user or local PC issue

Dave

0 Ratings
dereklamb
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Well done for getting through to a BT helpline person. I bypassed my problem by setting the problem userid with a pop3 forward to a subsidiary/alternative userid. Thus I didn't need to login to the problem - unless of course coincidentally BT had solved the problem.
I'll wait a few days and try to access the problem userid again.
0 Ratings
2ndmouse
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 20

I've resolved the problem in a similar way. I now forward all my @btinternet.com mail to my personal imap address and I've removed @btinternet.com from outlook. No more password pop-ups. Prior to this change, I had it set up the other way round.

I decided to do this because, even if the current issue is resolved, it's bound to re-occur in the future. It's been happening on and off for years.

ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ ˁ˚ᴥ˚ˀ
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left

0 Ratings
AJW1100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 20

I too phoned BT. Got through to a helpful (ish) lady who eventually put me through to what she called the Yahoo department as my email is controlled by them. Eventually I got through and explained the problem again, I was advised that they knew about it and were working hard to correct it. Please allow 24~48 hours for it to be fixed.

I still could not get my head around the fact that sub accounts were no problem but my main account was in deep err trouble. Yesterday Win 10 did a large update that took some time, on the eventual restart I noted an envelope on my startup screen, odd I thought.

Once into W10 I checked 'Mail' something I have not used as I use Outlook all the time. I noted that there was a 'problem with my account settings' now, I certainly do not remember setting up any accounts in 'Mail' so opened up mail and there was my account and 'password'. Months ago I changed my password and updated Outlook, Mailwasher and my Phone all connected fine. I can only think that somehow 'Mail' started to try to access my BT account with the wrong password, probably one it found from before I changed it months ago. IF this is what has happened it is odd that the problem did not appear soon after my PW change, perhaps 'Mail' has been asleep and just woke up and thought it had better check my emails!! IF it started to do this a week or so ago on startup or scheduled then no wonder I was getting failed password attempts!!!

I have now deleted my account in 'Mail' and see if this clears the problem (its been fine today). I am wondering if a recent W10 update may have been the cause...

Hopefully its now fixed......

The questions only easy if you already know the answer
0 Ratings